Author Topic: Sound file transfer issue  (Read 11465 times)

Tom

• Engineer
Re: Sound file transfer issue
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2021, 05:30:49 PM »
I do not know about the 567 ULT working on an LM-2S, but the Heavy Steam ULT will not work on an LM-2S.  The Heavy Steam LM-1 will work, so it could be the same for the 567 ULT.  And, as for steam, that may be why Ring does not have the old Heavy Steam on the RPA.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2021, 07:03:36 PM »
567 ULT works on the LM-2S.  I have a 2S with it loaded on it right now.  Works fine, plenty of room.

-Kevin

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2021, 10:31:26 AM »
I can't find anything related to Verification, any ideas?

As mentioned previously there are two verification error messages in the HC / HC Sim which likely relate to two different things. Are you able to remember the exact wording?

When a file is downloaded from Rings server, and highly likely when it's copied to an LM as well, RPA and the HC / HC Sim verify what was copied to what was stored in RPA / HC / HC Sim to make sure it matches. I believe this is done using a checksum on each packet of data. If the copied file doesn't match then this is probably the cause of the verification error. As to what could cause the copy not to match well how long is a piece of string? Probably the biggest one is having the HC / CI-1 more than 2 feet away. I think I got that error once when I was downloading something to an LM from the next room, probably some 15 feet and a wall between the CI-1 and the LM but never when the CI-1 and the LM were about the recommended distance or closer apart.

A very, very long shot could be an issue with the onboard memory in the LM where the data is not being written correctly but again that's a very long shot.

Something else it could be (shouldn't be but it's been too long for me to remember how this presents itself) is how full are the LM's that are failing the verification? The LM only has a finite amount of onboard memory and if the LM is loaded up with enough files that take up nearly all the space there won't be room left to copy the updated program. Again I don't think this should give the verification error but it's been too long for me to remember.

- Tim

Josephbw

• Conductor
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2021, 11:54:53 AM »
Well, I had a little good news last night. Through several multiple downloads, I managed to get all 20 of my LM2s upgraded to the latest program. When I finished with that I tried to load the update for the 3 LM3s I have. Unfortunately, I was only able to complete 1 of them. The other 2 had issues making a connection with my computer. I'll have to open them up and see if there is an issue with the engines or the LM's.

At least now I can TRY to install the ULT sound files in the LM2s.

Thank you everyone for the answers and support, I really appreciate it.

I just wonder if some of my issues stem from the old computer I pressed into service for the downloads. It's one of our older ones that we upgraded from. It's a Lenova w/W8. It seems to work better if I repeat each task at least 4-5 times.  :D

I have been concentrating on building the layout for the last several years and put off the computer upgrades due to so much frustration. I have just about finished the layout on one side of the basement, and hopefully, I can start on the other side this year.

Joe

Josephbw

• Conductor
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2021, 01:14:30 PM »
I knew it was too good to last. I downloaded the engine file to my HC sim, but when I try to send it to the engine it's not listed in the sim. It only shows diesel bell, diesel horn & diesel engine. The ULT file I loaded isn't there. And I did save it after the download. I had the same issue with 2 engines so far.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 01:16:10 PM by Josephbw »

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2021, 04:40:20 PM »
Are you running the latest version of the HC Sim software?
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2021, 04:41:31 PM »
what steps are you taking to send the file to the LM?
I suggest removing any existing prime mover files from the LM before trying to copy a new one to it.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2021, 04:45:48 PM »
Joe, if you were able to load the 567ULT into the GP30 then it has to be on the HC unless you deleted it.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

MtRR75

• Conductor
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2021, 09:03:45 PM »
I've managed to come up with a whole new problem now. I've been loading the 2.09 version program update to my LM2S modules. 3 of them worked fine, 3 of them got the "Verify Failed" error message and 1 got the "No Product Found message". On the last failure, I need to open up the engine and check connections.

Joe

I just fired up an HC and I didn't have any trouble with sounds or lights, so I don't think there is an issue with the engine.

I tried downloading the LM update again from Ring and got the same failure again.

I have run into some of the same problems that you are having.  But first, know that I have only steam locos, and my problems related to trying to install the new ULT Heavy steam file.

I found that, once a loco had one of the messages that you got, the only thing that worked was to delete some of the files that were already on the LM.  In my case, I had several whistles and bells on some of the locos -- trying them out until I decided which to keep.  Removing these extra files fixed the problem.

Also, make sure that you have the LM the required distance from the HC-2 hand-held or the CI flash drive.

MtRR75

• Conductor
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2021, 09:10:10 PM »
I just wonder if some of my issues stem from the old computer I pressed into service for the downloads. It's one of our older ones that we upgraded from. It's a Lenova w/W8. It seems to work better if I repeat each task at least 4-5 times.  :D

Joe

You should be fine.  I am using a borrowed Windows 7 machine that has not been updated in a long time, and I have had not problems getting the files off the internet and into the HC-2 or the CI-1.

Josephbw

• Conductor
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2021, 09:14:16 PM »
Are you running the latest version of the HC Sim software?

Yes I downloaded a new one tonight, but it didn't help any.

Josephbw

• Conductor
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2021, 09:23:15 PM »
what steps are you taking to send the file to the LM?
I suggest removing any existing prime mover files from the LM before trying to copy a new one to it.

I'm upstairs at another computer now, but coming from my fragile memory, it's tools, software update, update program, save program, change button for engine, save. I've tried deleting the diesel engine before I downloaded the 567ULT, and also just tried to overwrite it, neither works.

Josephbw

• Conductor
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2021, 09:25:39 PM »
Joe, if you were able to load the 567ULT into the GP30 then it has to be on the HC unless you deleted it.

I haven't deleted the 567 file, but it seems to either never actually get downloaded, or it just disappears.

Josephbw

• Conductor
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2021, 09:31:46 PM »
I've managed to come up with a whole new problem now. I've been loading the 2.09 version program update to my LM2S modules. 3 of them worked fine, 3 of them got the "Verify Failed" error message and 1 got the "No Product Found message". On the last failure, I need to open up the engine and check connections.

Joe

I just fired up an HC and I didn't have any trouble with sounds or lights, so I don't think there is an issue with the engine.

I tried downloading the LM update again from Ring and got the same failure again.

I have run into some of the same problems that you are having.  But first, know that I have only steam locos, and my problems related to trying to install the new ULT Heavy steam file.

I found that, once a loco had one of the messages that you got, the only thing that worked was to delete some of the files that were already on the LM.  In my case, I had several whistles and bells on some of the locos -- trying them out until I decided which to keep.  Removing these extra files fixed the problem.

Also, make sure that you have the LM the required distance from the HC-2 hand-held or the CI flash drive.

The only files that were on any of my LM's were the ones that came with the modules. I have my computer on a desk with my CI-1 sticking out of the front of the case with my track and the engines sitting directly under the CI-1 9 1/2" apart.

The power supply that I am using puts out 11.6V, which was plenty to update the LM's

Josephbw

• Conductor
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2021, 09:34:06 PM »
I want to thank you all for your help. I keep getting the feeling that my HC Sim is defective. Maybe I'll try downloading another one tomorrow.

Thanks again,
Joe