Author Topic: Sound file transfer issue  (Read 11472 times)

Josephbw

• Conductor
Re: Sound file transfer issue
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2021, 12:02:14 PM »
Not enough memory is the error you get when there isn't enough free space on the LM for the file your trying to copy to it to fit. If the LM does only have the default files on it then the 567 Ult should fit. Unfortunately there isn't a way to actually see how much memory is being used / how much free space there is; you just have to start copying and hope!

Anyway, deleting some files from the LM that you know you won't use (like Diesel Engine, as your copying a new diesel sound) should fix the problem.

At least it looks like we solved the Could Not Verify problem.

- Tim

Tim I read one place that the new file will overwrite the old file, then I read another place that it would not. On the ones that worked it apparently overwrote the standard file. I'll delete the diesel engine file and see what happens.

Thanks, Joe

Josephbw

• Conductor
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2021, 12:17:20 PM »
I deleted the engine sound file and it's now downloading the ULT file. It's weird that some will overwrite and some won't. Just another idiosyncrasy of Rings files I guess.

Thanks again everyone,
Joe

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2021, 01:43:26 PM »
Files will only overwrite if the file name is EXACTLY the same.  So if you have "EMD 567-16 ULT" on the locomotive module, it will be overwritten if you upload another copy of "EMD 567-16 ULT". 

The only time this will be helpful is if there is an update to the sound file from Ring, then the old file will be overwritten when you upload the new.  This has happened several times in the past.  The 567 ULT file was one of those that was updated (tweaked the shutdown sequence) so if anyone had the old file it would have been replaced with the new if they happened to download it again.

-Kevin

Josephbw

• Conductor
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2021, 09:44:58 AM »
Things are going somewhat better now, EXCEPT when I download an engine file I can use it all day, but it won't stay in the HC Sim overnight. The first time this happened I had shut the computer totally down. Since then if I have a file that I've been upgrading engines with during the day, I'll leave the computer on and turn off the monitor. The next day I go down to start up again and the engine file is gone and I have to do another download all over again.

I save the file after I get it into the HC, but it won't last overnight. What am I missing?

Joe

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2021, 09:57:28 AM »
There is no "saving" files that get downloaded to the HC....they are just there.  There is no user input to save them.  So I'm not sure what exactly you're saying there.

When a file gets transferred (downloaded) from the RPA to the HC Sim, it saves in the HC Sim automatically by virtue of the file being transferred.  As far as I know there is no possible way that the file will be deleted from the HC Sim unless the user goes through the normal steps of deleting a file from the HC.

To check and see what files are actually on the HC Sim, go to the same page where you transfer files from, tap on "Delete Files", tap on the HC Sim, then scroll through the pages to see what files are actually there.  Also look at the "% Free Storage" to make sure your aren't almost maxed out. 

-Kevin

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2021, 09:59:42 AM »
No file should delete itself from the HC. Perhaps it is just not showing up when you try to copy it to an LM. That  happened to me once but not since. Try to find the file by going to the Delete File area and see if it shows up there. If it does, then there is a different problem within the HC. Also, see if that happens on both the HC2 and the HC Sim. If it happens on the HC2 you should call Ring. I'm sure he will ask you to send it in, as that is not normal. If it happens only on the Sim, delete the Sim, reboot and download it again.

Edit: Looks like Kevin and I are on the same page here and typing at the same time.  :D
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 10:01:58 AM by nodcc4me »
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2021, 10:46:31 AM »
What you are describing is a symptom of HC Sim not having the correct permissions to write it's storage file back to disk when you close HC Sim. This should not be occurring unless your running an older version of HC Sim but we should be easily able to find out.

Are you using the latest version of HC Sim (2.10) ?

When you say you can use the downloaded file all day, do you close the HC Sim program in between work sessions or do you leave it running all day and then close the program at night when you finish up?

Here is a test for you to try.

- Start HC Sim like you normally would.
- Download a picture from Ring to HC Sim (pictures are small and don't take long).
- Confirm the picture is stored in HC Sim (by seeing if it shows up in delete files from HC Sim).
- Close HC Sim.
- Start HC Sim normally again and see if the picture still exists in HC Sim.

If the picture is NOT still in HC Sim after closing and starting it again then do all of the above again but run HC Sim as an administrator. Do this by right-clicking on HC Sim and selecting "Run as Administrator".

Let us know the outcome of the test when you run HC Sim as you normally do and if you had to run HC Sim as administrator.

PS, you do know that files you download from Ring are stored in HC Sim and RPA? As you've downloaded the 567 Ult sound file previously it should** be stored in RPA so you won't have to download it from Ring again but you can load it to HC Sim from the copy stored in RPA.

** RPA works the same way as HC Sim so it's possible that downloaded files are not being stored in RPA either if it's a permissions issue.

- Tim

Josephbw

• Conductor
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2021, 09:01:17 AM »
When I get back from the Doctor this afternoon, I'll give you an update.

Thanks Joe

Josephbw

• Conductor
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2021, 08:23:50 AM »
Better late than never.  :) Yesterday was a mixed bag of successes. 3 more engines have new sound, but one was a fail. I installed the 645UTL in one engine and it started up fine, then the RPM's went wonky. It would rev up, then slow down, then repeat, then make weird noises, then go crazy with the RPM's again. This all happened without any input from me. It was late last night, so I didn't fool with it anymore. This afternoon I'm going to delete the UTL file and copy it again and see if it is better.

It seems like there are more hurdles to jump every day.

In over 35 years of programming with DCC (which could be a real pain in the tookus at times), I can't remember having this many different issues accomplishing the task.

Joe

Josephbw

• Conductor
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2021, 08:30:36 PM »
There is no "saving" files that get downloaded to the HC....they are just there.  There is no user input to save them.  So I'm not sure what exactly you're saying there.

When a file gets transferred (downloaded) from the RPA to the HC Sim, it saves in the HC Sim automatically by virtue of the file being transferred.  As far as I know there is no possible way that the file will be deleted from the HC Sim unless the user goes through the normal steps of deleting a file from the HC.

To check and see what files are actually on the HC Sim, go to the same page where you transfer files from, tap on "Delete Files", tap on the HC Sim, then scroll through the pages to see what files are actually there.  Also look at the "% Free Storage" to make sure your aren't almost maxed out. 

-Kevin

Kevin, what I was referring to is that after almost every step I have to go to a "save" page and click on the link.
Joe

Tom

• Engineer
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2021, 07:47:14 PM »
Related to this sound file transfer issues thread: is there a file size the RailPro Assistant cannot find on a computer?  I recently successfully loaded a picture the Assistant and HC-2 recognized, but RPA could not “see” the WAV file no matter where I had it on the computer.  File size was 7,771 KB.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2021, 01:00:22 AM »
Related to this sound file transfer issues thread: is there a file size the RailPro Assistant cannot find on a computer?  I recently successfully loaded a picture the Assistant and HC-2 recognized, but RPA could not “see” the WAV file no matter where I had it on the computer.  File size was 7,771 KB.

RPA can "see" any file regardless of the files size. At the "browsing for a file" stage it's just a filter on the file extension so if the extension doesn't match or is non existent RPA won't show the file. Are you sure the file has a wav extension (filename.wav) and isn't accidentally named filenamewav with no extension? It can be easy to do and overlook this, especially if one's eyes are tired.

- Tim

Tom

• Engineer
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2021, 07:44:40 PM »
Thanks Tim.

I have been communicating with Ring via e-mail about trying to program an AM-1S: they have actually been quite responsive and helpful.   The Type of file I am using is a “Wave Sound (.wav)” on the General tab under file properties.

For RPUG information, it is more complicated than that.  A file can be too big, but how big is too big was unspecified.  And the problem with my (.wav) file is that it is two channel and RailPro only wants a one channel file: how to know if a .wav file is one or two channel and how to change it is unknown to me.  Also, RailPro likes files to be on the (C:) directory, apparently not too far down, like possibly a file in C:/temp.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2021, 10:51:52 PM »
Okey Dokey, I can expand that a little.

A file is to big when it's to big to fit in the limited memory in an AM/LM/HC or disk space in RPA or HC Sim. All those values are different but for the problem you reported in that RPA could not "see" the file the size of your file was not an issue. You can load a 50 megabyte wav file into RPA and it's not an issue. Of course you wouldn't be able to use a file that big as it would never fit into an AM/LM/HC but RPA can see files that big because the size of the file doesn't come into play when your browsing for files.

Yes, RPA expects a mono wav file but that does not stop it seeing the wav file if it's not mono, RPA will throw an error when you try to convert the wav file into RP format if it's not mono but it won't stop RPA from seeing it.

Yes, RPA can only see things on the C drive (stupid I know) and yes there is an issue with how many directories (folders) on the drive that RPA can display. I forget the exact number of directories that RPA can show but if that number is n and c:\temp is n+1 then RPA won't show the directory, or any others higher than n, counting alphabetically.

If your wav file is not the correct format RPA will throw errors at you letting you know what is wrong when you try to convert it. As per the manual the wav file needs to be 16 bit, 44100Hz mono. To convert your file to this format you'll need an audio editor. Audacity is a good free tool for this. If you think it's a bit beyond your skill level asking here on RPUG for someone to convert it for you is likely to elicit a response.

- Tim