Author Topic: Shunter - Small Loco Prime mover sounds, any one have any?  (Read 3908 times)

Gibs

• Engineer
As the subject asks, do we (as in RE and all of us) have any sound files for Shunter's/small Loco's prime mover's?
A possible secret stash on some ones PC....( I wish).  :D
Cya Down The Line.

Gibs

• Engineer
Re: Shunter - Small Loco Prime mover sounds, any one have any?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 10:58:31 AM »
Hmm, it would seem that I may have to create my own file(s).
I know it needs to be in the following format - Mono, 44.1KHz, 16bit.
Is there : Start, Idle, Ramp up, Full throttle, Ramp down and Shut : sound bytes required?
Anyone know?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 09:15:09 PM by Gibs »
Cya Down The Line.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 10:50:15 PM »
Currently Ring hasn't enabled the users to make their own prime mover sound files.  Those are done by Ring and released through the normal channels.  If you have good recordings of locomotives from start to finish, send it on to Ring and pressure him to make a prime mover file out of it.

I do wish we could have more flexibility to make our own prime mover files, but I would think they are very hard to do right.  Ring takes forever to get new prime mover files out unfortunately.  If they were quicker about it, it would make all of us very happy.

-Kevin

Gibs

• Engineer
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 02:02:01 AM »
If I could only see the Loco sound files I can make one, just can't seem to find them anywhere on my PC after I download them.
I already have Audio Programs from other interests I have (Modding Games) so its no biggy IF I can see one!!!!
Cya Down The Line.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2021, 07:50:16 AM »
If I could only see the Loco sound files I can make one, just can't seem to find them anywhere on my PC after I download them.
I already have Audio Programs from other interests I have (Modding Games) so its no biggy IF I can see one!!!!

You won't find them on your PC after you download them because they are not stored as stand alone files, everything is stored in one big storage file. Also don't assume that Ring's sound files are in any format that any audio editor can use; the sound samples start as wav files yes but we don't know what the final format is.

Right now the closest thing you could make yourself is a something like a generator, a startup, run loop and shutdown.

...but I would think they are very hard to do right.  Ring takes forever to get new prime mover files out unfortunately.  If they were quicker about it, it would make all of us very happy.

I doubt it's actually very hard but just very time consuming to edit so everything is smooth. Ring would already have made the software to put the prime mover files together, that just leaves the sound editing.

- Tim

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2021, 07:15:44 PM »
I get the feeling sounds are to Ring as colors were to the paint company I worked for. Regardless of how many you have the market always wants more. We spent more money on color formulation than we did on all of the R&D labs combined.

Just as Ring may be doing, we tried to walk the fine line of enough new colors to keep the market happy but not so many as to waste formulation time and money which was better spent elsewhere. It is very difficult to say with any certainty that more colors (sounds) will always result in more sales. Existing RP owners for instance. More sounds does not equal more sales so for that crowd Ring's ROI is essentially zero. If you think of it terms of adding new business then I completely understand why Ring isn't busting his tail to publish new sounds. It probably yields little return measured in dollars whereas new products add big dollars.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2021, 10:38:29 PM »
I wish I knew what sounds were to Ring but from a previous exchange I had with him on that subject I think your somewhere in the ball park and unfortunately that mentality is a sure fire way to loose sales. I hear what you say in your comparison with paint, it's the same for me though we do need a lot of variety otherwise our shows would be boring and we wouldn't get business but we have to choose a range we can stock from the huge range available as we can't stock it all.

However we're not talking about people painting houses, roofs, fences, cars etc or lighting up the night sky, we're talking about model railroaders and sound to a model railroader is now in the same category as the correct detail applied off the shelf to a model for a specific railroad. While you are somewhat correct that adding new sounds isn't going to generate more sales from the crowd that already owns the system absolutely the size and quality of your sound library is a major factor in the make or break decision for someone to go with the system in the first place. Every time someone brings up RP on a forum somewhere the variety and quality of the sounds is bought up as a factor. Even right now there's a debate going on over at MRH over wireless control. RP was bought up as usual and sound was bought up as a factor.

Why is LokSound so popular? 1, You can create your own sounds including the prime mover AND share them, and 2, the size of the sound library, which in cases includes multiple versions of the same base prime mover, because the 645E3 in xxx loco sounds different than the 645E3 in yyy loco. Ring couldn't be stuffed when I suggested he be a bit more descriptive with his sound names.

- Tim

Gibs

• Engineer
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2021, 08:28:59 AM »
Maybe then in the interest of new sales as well as keeping his existing user base happy and possibly create more return sales RE need to think about a modellers tool box/kit being added to the next update to RPA.  It's either that or I start pulling the storage file apart (yes I do know what and where it is) with my hex editor and other code modding tools I have. I've not met a file that I can't mod yet! Just takes a little bit of time is all.
Cya Down The Line.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2021, 08:43:53 AM »
Maybe then in the interest of new sales as well as keeping his existing user base happy and possibly create more return sales RE need to think about a modellers tool box/kit being added to the next update to RPA.

There's the million dollar idea. Let the customers roll their own. Analogous to the revolution that occurred in paint with the advent of low cost spectrophotometers.

XRite.jpg
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

Gibs

• Engineer
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2021, 09:15:02 AM »
Not real sure if you taking the piss or you agree with and like the idea, I'm gonna go with the  latter and just feel good about it all. 😆
Cya Down The Line.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2021, 01:22:18 PM »
Gibs, I would be very interested to see what you find if you are able to get a good look at the file format.  Perhaps with some homebrew we can find a way to create our own prime mover files rather than waiting on Ring to release them.  I have a whole list of sounds I would like, and I know that Ring has had quality recordings in his possession for several years now.  If he were to release all these new high-quality sounds we would see a huge amount of interest in Railpro.

-Kevin

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2021, 06:37:12 PM »
Not real sure if you taking the piss or you agree with and like the idea, I'm gonna go with the  latter and just feel good about it all. 😆

The latter.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

Gibs

• Engineer
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2021, 06:54:05 PM »
At the moment I'm up north on a remote mine site for 4 weeks, all I have with me is my mobile. But it will be on the top of my to-do list when I get back home. That and finish off my LM-3S install into my Daughter's 0-4-0 Diesel Bagnall Shunter. To say there is not much room is a huge understatement 😆
Cya Down The Line.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2021, 02:28:00 AM »
(yes I do know what and where it is)

So do the rest of us, it's function and location has been mentioned here many times  ;)

Maybe then in the interest of new sales as well as keeping his existing user base happy and possibly create more return sales RE need to think about a modellers tool box/kit being added to the next update to RPA.

There's the million dollar idea. Let the customers roll their own.

We've been wanting this for years for prime movers but I don't see it happening.

I know that Ring has had quality recordings in his possession for several years now

That just speaks volumes. If he's so time poor with everything else about RE that he can't devote enough time to do "complex" sounds then let the customers do it, or hire someone to do it for you!

Gibs, I'll send you a PM.

- Tim

Gibs

• Engineer
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2021, 08:18:35 AM »
ATM just as a rough idea rattling in my head I'm thinking what we might be looking at is an injector of some kind. As I said this just an idea.
I've never understood  why company's make so little use of their user base for tasks that desperately need doing but they themselves simply don't have the time to do. it's a win win situation for every one.
Cya Down The Line.