Author Topic: New Members!  (Read 23209 times)

CPRail

• Conductor
  • You know, sometimes I amaze even myself.
Re: New Members!
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2015, 04:49:55 PM »
Hi Gang;

I'm currently a DC Cab Control guy who dabbled in DCC about 14 years ago and didn't like the whole CV thing. Tried Bill's RailPro for the first time a week or so ago (I'm the guy in the purple shirt in his Op Session video) and I'm seriously considering RailPro vs. DC Cab Control, especially as I'm at the point of starting wiring!

Ian Lisakowski
Modelling CP Rail & VIA in the early 80's in Winnipeg
Ian Lisakowski
Modelling CP Rail & VIA in the early 80's

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2015, 05:31:54 PM »
Hi, I am Richard from Las Vegas,NV. I am not retired but as an electrician I have been into trains since I was a teenager (53 now). I got into electronics and electricity due to my interest in trains first. This has even helped me in my current career as a trade show electrician since I can fix stuff and do hook-ups of customer equipment due to my background with electronics and LED installs related to my hobby. I started building my current 20x20 double deck modern HO BNSF layout a few years ago with the full intention of running Digitrax DCC. I bought all the books and only had a few DCC parts to start with. After doing a lot of research and watching some DCC YouTube videos, I decided that a 20+ year old tech that was very complicated to program just wasn't for me. I decided of RailPro about 3 years ago but waited until last year to start buying the equipment. I waited to see how it would work out with all the bad reviews from guys who didn't even have it. They were concerned about the touch screen, picture files and such. These were not an issue for me at all. I have 8 modules so far and one HC-2 controller with a goal of about 25 to 30 RailPro equipped engines. Been buying mostly new engines so far for conversion and haven't started on my older units yet. Using sound in every unit so far. Can't seem to find any Model RailRoaders in the Las Vegas area other than the G scale guys. Will need a few operators once the layout is finished. Have most of the track down.

Richard:

Welcome. I'm a pilot for Spirit and routinely overnight in LAS. I would be more than happy to run some pumpkins if you need operators!

Jacob
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

Prostreetamx

• Fireman
  • Modern BNSF
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2015, 04:36:43 PM »
Not completely up and running yet but early next year will be much farther. Have only tested a few sections so far but mostly wired. I live about as far away from the airport as you can be and still technically be in the city but could always pick you up. I work pretty close to the airport at Mandelay Bay. Now that I have 8 engines running, it's time to finish the loose ends and run some trains. Need a second opinion on a few areas for operation before final track work.
Modeling modern BNSF on 20x20 freelanced double deck layout under construction.

Antoine L.

• Engineer
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2016, 07:37:49 AM »
Hi everyone

Name's Antoine, from Sherbrooke, Québec, Canada.
30 years old. I already own Railpro with HC-2 and 6 locomotives equipped with Lm-2S. I have a 12x12 layout in progress. I'm interested in joining this group to share experiences and hear about other's experiences.

Thank you for having me along.

Antoine
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 08:13:10 AM by Antoine L. »
Modeling a mix of CN / Wisconsin central on a 12x15 freelance area.

Geek.Verve

• Fireman
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2016, 09:10:24 PM »
Howdy folks.  My name is Rich, and I'm from central Indiana.  I'm not retired, but now that the kids are all but grown, I have the time and a little disposable income to revisit model railroading, which fascinated me so when I was young.  I may be a bit of an odd duck, as the history of the American railroad, while interesting in its own right, isn't a big draw for me.  I imagine my layouts will be largely fictitious, with only a passing nod toward chronological accuracy.  My interests lie in those machines of years past, themselves, and modeling the way of life of the people and activities of the crews involved in the industry. 

I've never wired a train set beyond hooking up to the two screws on the feeder track section on the old Lionel figure eight set I received for Christmas as a kid, so I've got a lot to learn.  I'm starting with an NTrak module, that I can run with a local NTrak club.  I'm sure it will be a valuable learning experience for me.  My first fixed layout will be a HO scale (space permitting) rail system traversing a number of different environments, incorporating tunnels, bridges, mountains, industries, bodies of water and whatever else I can squeeze into it.  I plan to run both steam and diesel locos on it.  RailPro will certainly be my control system of choice.

Jim_N

• Fireman
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2016, 09:32:40 PM »
Hi  All,

I'm Jim and I live in Reno, Nevada.  My folks gave me an American Flyer set that I and my younger brothers expanded to a flat, no scenic plywood sheet.  When I saw the classic Boys' Life HO scale layout in the late-50s I told myself that someday I would have something better and then promptly got sidetracked (heh, heh) about model trains for 40 years.  A spinal operation in 1999 gave me time  to reacquaint.  Altho I bought tons of stuff and put together a 6'x10' table, I couldn't get motivated beyond laying track and running a few consists; but I did keep everything.

I am retired  now so have once again turned to the hobby.  I am building a bi-level 5'x9' table layout rather than a preferred around the room layout since I only have garage space.  The RR is freelanced to include bridges, tunnels and a mostly yard setting on the upper level.  So far I'm making more headway, albeit very sporadically, than my previous attempt - I have never been a serious modeler such as most of you.  When I assembled gear in 1999 I bought a MRC DCC Command 2000 controller so that's what I'm using.  I want something more sophisticated now but my current experience with MRC and the literature I've read by DCC vendors such as Digitrax and NCE just doesn't have much appeal.  I discovered the Ring Engineering approach on the Model Railroad Hobbyist website and it makes the most sense to me intuitively.

I recently found this users' group by fortuitous accident and have joined in the hopes of expanding my understanding of Rail Pro - especially what it's like to operate as described by real users instead of unfounded opinions of non-users that I have seen on the internet.

I have just finished reading literally every post in all the forums on this site and the information has been beyond great.  Although I am not a participating type person, I am hoping that once I commit to Rail Pro that I will have some worthwhile observations to contribute.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2016, 10:26:08 PM »
Welcome here Jim, and all the other recent new members!
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

trailrider

• Brakeman
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2016, 10:41:19 PM »
Hello! I'm Jim from Colorado. I received my first model train set around 8 years old, an American Flyer set, but switched to HO around 12 years old, or around 62 years ago! I'm semi-retired, but keep very busy. Because I've been modeling so long, I have a fairly big collection of HO locomotives, both steam and diesel.  Most of those are in DC, and I've only recently acquired DCC with sound in a few of my diesels.  Obviously, I have far too many locomotives to convert them all to DCC. The main reason I went to DCC at all was to get sound. (There is nothing that stirs me as much as the sound of a diesel horn in the night! As a kid, I rode the original Burlington Zephyrs with my folks going to see my grandparents in downstate Illinois.)  I'd like to have some of my steam locomotives rigged for sound and consisting, but the ones I would convert to DCC or RailPro have Canon coreless motors, and I don't know how they would react to the higher voltages of DCC. RailPro sounds interesting, especially for consisting/double-heading. Since I mainly run trains by myself, I'm not too concerned with running more than one train at a time, and my layout is a folded dogbone around a 14' x 14' room.
So any comments on how RailPro works, and tips about converting some of my engines would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, in advance!  :)

Dean

• Conductor
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2016, 06:53:54 AM »
Hi, I am a retired electrician with some electronics experience. I have a 13'x20' layout that I have been working on for 20+ years. My layout is DCC controlled using an NCE Power Pro system. I recently purchased a RailPro HC-2 and 4 LM-2 decoders for consisting. Hoping to learn more about RailPro here in these forums.

Tuscarora
Dean

yvesmary

• Fireman
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2016, 10:21:25 PM »
Welcome to Terry, the 100th member of our group.

Looking forward to #200. It's nice to see this group growing.

Yves in Alberta

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2016, 07:39:10 AM »
Note: I moved Mike's (alias 'MustDecide') question post to it's own topic:

http://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php?topic=240.0

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Homeless by Choice

• Fireman
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2016, 11:38:28 AM »
Hello and Merry Christmas,

My name is LeRoy and I joined this forum a few weeks back to help myself understand RailPro.  I am a retired mechanical engineer with just a basic understanding of electronics. 

I do not have a layout yet and I am “Homeless by Choice”.  I live and travel in my truck camper: the desert southwest during the winter months and more northerly during the summer months.  I will be getting an enclosed cargo trailer to use as my hobby area while traveling and I plan on building my railroad empire in the lower level of my son’s house next summer.  Over the pass year, I spend a lot of time reading, researching, and planning.

My original plan was to go DCC but then I stumbled onto RailPro.  RailPro caught my attention because it seemed to be an advanced technology and simpler to use.

Homeless by Choice
LeRoy
Retired, Homeless, and full timer RVer.  I live in my truck camper and roam the USA, Canada, and Alaska.  I sold my home to my son but I still have full access to the entire lower level.  I have somewhat of a HO bench plan designed.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2016, 11:50:46 AM »
Welcome to the RailPro User Group LeRoy!!

Your itinerant life sounds like a great time!

Edavis

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2016, 11:41:18 AM »
Hi iam Justin from sandpoint Idaho.Still building bench work but still run trains on what track I got down.From what I've seen I have no reason to use any other system,I've never had anything other than a simple old dc power pack.Never ran or used any dcc stuff.l have not had any type of layout before but have always wanted one,and now iam building one.So iam really looking forward to getting started with this railpro system.Just wondering about what I should get to start running trains with railpro thx for any help

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2016, 12:32:31 PM »
Hi Justin, Welcome to the RailPro group!

To get started from scratch with RailPro I suggest these items:
  • RPK-1 controller and power supply
  • One LM-3 or LM-3S per locomotive

You'll want DCC ready locomotives if you are looking at buying new ones.
If you want sound, choose the LM-3S instead of the the LM-3. 

That will get you rolling!

RailPro products are available from many online retailers including my online store.
If you're looking at a purchase over $500 feel free to contact me about an additional discount.

Cheers!