Author Topic: N scale and Apple OS  (Read 8744 times)

darryl.trains

• Conductor
N scale and Apple OS
« on: June 19, 2021, 12:37:59 AM »
I had a couple fellows ask me about N scale in the future and one mentioned using Apple OS?  I told them that was a very dim subject. Too bad as I think there is great demand at least those in N scale.  I think it's a dead horse so I'll lay that to rest.  Pity  ###### TOF

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Re: N scale and Apple OS
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2021, 01:25:16 AM »
Darryl, you posted this topic twice with the exact same content so I deleted one of them.

Anyway not sure what this member was on about, any of Apples OS's is not going to control trains by themselves, you'd need an application to control whatever control system is in use (RailPro, DCC or whatever else may come along in the future). For DCC that already exists with an application for Apple's iPads and iPhones. For RailPro a lot of people are still (and are going to for a long time) waiting on native Apple compatibility. Some others are using the workarounds in the meantime.

As for direct to locomotive wireless control of N scale, people will be waiting a long time for that too. Nobody has done that, not even in DCC.

- Tim
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 01:27:15 AM by G8B4Life »

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2021, 12:06:42 PM »
"Nobody has done that, not even in DCC."

You say that there is no DCC for N Scale?  Really?   In our club there are a few guys that are using DCC but would like to give RP a try especially after I showed them the ease of using it on the club HO layout. TOF

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 01:25:42 PM »
"Nobody has done that, not even in DCC."

You say that there is no DCC for N Scale?  Really?   In our club there are a few guys that are using DCC but would like to give RP a try especially after I showed them the ease of using it on the club HO layout. TOF

I think he is saying wireless communication to the locomotive is not available in N scale.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

GMM6809

• Engineer
  • Glenn M.
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2021, 04:04:06 PM »
I had a couple fellows ask me about N scale in the future and one mentioned using Apple OS?  I told them that was a very dim subject. Too bad as I think there is great demand at least those in N scale.  I think it's a dead horse so I'll lay that to rest.  Pity  ###### TOF

I use a Mac sometimes, however I have to utilize the ‘boot camp’ feature and run windows haha

I would like to use a native App for Mac. I’m not sure how hard that would be to create though..
Glenn M.

Staff Sergeant in the Marine Corps.

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2021, 09:41:18 PM »
I tried using Boot Camp but there were issues. I also have a PC but the Windows 10 had problems.  Now I have an iMac that has 64 bits in the system.  So to get beyond all this, I use my Apple laptop using Parallels and then I get the job done.

Retired Sergeant US Army.  It's all good, any service.  Salute...

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2021, 11:23:14 PM »
You say that there is no DCC for N Scale?  Really?

Is that what I said? Really? Please go back and read that line again and tell me how I said there's no DCC for N scale.

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2021, 01:10:09 AM »
I guess it's all in how you view things?

"I think he is saying wireless communication to the locomotive is not available in N scale."