Author Topic: New Problem  (Read 2587 times)

Josephbw

• Conductor
New Problem
« on: August 09, 2021, 12:57:45 PM »
I dug out one of my old engines from my previous layout back in the 70's. It's an old Athearn SD9, that is still in pretty good condition. I installed the LM2s and wired everything up, then put it on my programming track. I hit "Find Product", and it found the LM. Then I went to advanced setup and gave it a name and number. When I try to select it it is nowhere to be found, either in the select loco page or the Loco List.

It's been so long since I did an initial setup that I'm sure I missed something. The instruction book dosen't seem to cover the initial programming, at least as I've been able to find.

Any ideas?

Thank you,
Joe

KPack

• Conductor
Re: New Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2021, 01:00:09 PM »
The picture doesn't show up at all?  It could be the ghost module thing we ran across a while back, although I can't remember how it was resolved.

-Kevin

ON28

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2021, 02:40:08 PM »
Does the loco motor have to be isolated from the frame for RP to function?

Josephbw

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2021, 02:53:01 PM »
The picture doesn't show up at all?  It could be the ghost module thing we ran across a while back, although I can't remember how it was resolved.

-Kevin

No picture at all, nor anything other than it found the decoder when I search for it.

I'll see if I can find the ghost thread.
Joe

Josephbw

• Conductor
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2021, 03:00:57 PM »
I just did a search for ghost module, and it only came back to this thread. :(

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2021, 03:06:34 PM »

Josephbw

• Conductor
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2021, 09:18:28 PM »
Does the loco motor have to be isolated from the frame for RP to function?

I don't know what happened to the post I answered you on, but it's gone now. To answer your question you are correct. To isolate the frame from the motor I cut off the 2 protrusions on the bottom of the lower copper brush strap. Then I put down a layer of Kaptan tape. I checked continuity between the motor and frame, and there was none.

Joe

Josephbw

• Conductor
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2021, 05:01:32 PM »
I figured out what happened. I had sent this LM to Ring for repair and got it back last week. Then I installed it in my old engine. I input the new name, but it didn't show up on the loco screen. So I did a delete and checked again. Then I got a picture and name for another engine that already has an LM in it. Then it dawned on me the the LM I sent Tim was in that other engine. So then I tried to start the engine using the old number, and it fired right up, and the lights work.

Then all I had to do was change the Loco description and some buttons and all is good.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Joe