Author Topic: Improvements to the Hand Held Throttles  (Read 17129 times)

IRW

• Fireman
Re: Improvements to the Hand Held Throttles
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2021, 05:28:47 PM »
The system is okay, but not moving forward in my observation.  The sounds of the locomotives change at 29/30 and about 45% of throttle.  Would be nice to have a "Drive Hold" feature like ESU.  Seems to me it could be made to be more realistic.  I defer to the experts like Lee for changes - but if I had to replace my current assets I most likely switch to DCC to get the advantage of newer features.

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2021, 05:41:13 PM »
A lot of good suggestions and it seems like there are many comments that are related to the use of diesels. I have only one diesel as my scale is On30 which favours steam.  Of course many of the comments would be useful in keeping up with better usage of our system. I have never cared about pictures of engines on the screen therefor I really do not need that feature but some may like it and that is fine. It's all good no matter how you enjoy our hobby...  The old fardt in Arid-Zona 8)

WyldBill

• Fireman
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2021, 06:51:07 PM »
I agree with Lee, my top three would be....
Improved consisting
Dedicated loco operating screen
lanyard hook.
These improvements would be extremely helpful.....a dedicated E stop button would be nice as well.
Thanks,
WyldBill

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2021, 07:12:43 PM »
The system is okay, but not moving forward in my observation.  The sounds of the locomotives change at 29/30 and about 45% of throttle.  Would be nice to have a "Drive Hold" feature like ESU.  Seems to me it could be made to be more realistic.  I defer to the experts like Lee for changes - but if I had to replace my current assets I most likely switch to DCC to get the advantage of newer features.

Try manual notching instead of the load feature. You get a notch up and notch down button that allow you to change the sound of the engine without affecting the speed, BUT unlike "drive hold," you can still use the knob to adjust the speed. (ie: got a heavy load? start rolling, notch up all the way, then slowly adjust the throttle to achieve the speed action you want. Then back off the notches once you are up to full speed to imitate coasting.)
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

tedcurtin

• Brakeman
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2021, 08:00:59 PM »
How about a stripped down, less expensive controller with little or no programming.  I want to do more ops but don't want to spend a lot of money on full function hand held throttles.  Maybe a concept similar to the NCE Cab-06?

JD of Georgia

• Fireman
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2021, 08:04:47 PM »
If we are rebuilding the unit… ABSOLUTELY in favor of Battery replacement.   A lanyard would also be great and the simplified operating screen.   

I can’t see the engine pictures anyway… may I’ll make a “picture” of the unit type and number and use that!  Hmmmm…..

Dean

• Conductor
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2021, 09:06:47 PM »
All the suggestions are great.
The e-stop button would be an excellent addition. So are removable batteries.
The one thing I would like to see is a knurled knob.
It would be nice to have a small dumbed-down hand controller for guests.
Dean

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2021, 09:39:01 PM »
I was going to post this last night, before I lost the internet grrr.

Yes I think there's too much clutter on the Locomotive control screen. I find this is mostly from having two buttons available on each end of the loco picture and the load bar graph. This is the last mockup I did and took a few hints from real loco control screens. With this one the MU'ing, module setup etc are accessed from the setup button, which gives you the choices of setup MU, break MU, setup module etc.

dark ui theme blue  - control loco 1-v2 cropped.png

I was trying to figure out a way to get rid of the bar graph to unclutter that area but gave up.

As long as an "operations mode" screen was an option, not the norm I guess it wouldn't be an issue but I think the picture (of some sort) needs to be kept, it helps defines which end is the front (pretty easy with modern day stuff, not so easy with older diesels) and is used to quickly gain access to the loco select screen.

I would like to see more function "slots" available, 16 isn't enough these days.

C.)   Ability to control headlights on linked locos
- When the rear light button on the screen is selected, it should turn on the rear most light in the consist.

Is that the way it works in the real world in the US and Canada? It doesn't here. I'd hate to introduce something unprototypical, it's bad enough he had to put in the toy train auto switch headlights on direction change.

Swapping ends of a consist, hmm I remember mentioning that here years ago and getting a no need response. Good to see the idea gaining traction.

- Tim
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 09:40:49 PM by G8B4Life »

SCL1923

• Fireman
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2021, 10:10:33 PM »
I've been a RailPro user for the last 4 years or so. I run three to four loco's in a consist. One day I realized that one of my loco's had lost power for three or four turns around the layout and developed flat spots. I didn't realize it because I had three other loco's taking up the slack and dragging the dead unit around. I would like to see a visual warning when a loco in a consist goes dead.

Thanks for the thread
SCL

A and D Railroad

• Brakeman
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2021, 10:30:01 PM »
I am a potential RailPro user.  I intend to run my railroad on battery power.  Having lurked and given operations some thought.  Having a large layout, I would like to put video cameras in the cabs of my locos.  I would also like to operate Kaydee remote couplers. 

I will need repeaters to operate the trains over the entire layout.

I also think a less expensive way to operate turnouts should be available.

The g scale receiver does not have enough outputs to run the sound, lights whistle, bell, video camera and remote coupler.

A longer range. Receiver or transmitter wiuld b useful.

FScaleSteam

• Brakeman
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2021, 10:44:08 PM »
Please add chuff syncro input. Doesn't seem there are many tea kettle modelers here but having the chuff all set up nice just it have it sound like dogs barfing at higher or lower speeds is not fun.  Thanks

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2021, 12:10:53 AM »
Please add chuff syncro input. Doesn't seem there are many tea kettle modelers here but having the chuff all set up nice just it have it sound like dogs barfing at higher or lower speeds is not fun.  Thanks

The LM-3S-G now has chuff sync input.  It will hopefully soon be added to the LM-3S.

-Kevin

Cbrocco

• Fireman
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2021, 08:57:30 AM »
As I read through the comments I agree with others that custom screen layout per user is going to have to be the way to go. A community file share in the assistant would be a great place for others to share their screen layout files for HC so others (new users) can download it too.

I like the locomotive pictures and think it makes the controller easier for guests to understand. I vote to leave the loco pictures in.

1. Without a doubt, more buttons function pages. 2 pages isn't enough.
2. Faster upload times for files to the LMs. It takes me about 3 hours to load a new LM from HC and that's using the virtual HC too.

If you need a lanyard holder for your HC until HC's come with it, there is one here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233847750842?hash=item36726980ba:g:FVkAAOSwSadf9Hvk

-Chris

cdp48

• Fireman
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2021, 09:01:33 AM »
"Yes" to all of Lee's suggestions.

Craig Phillips
Spokane International
Salem, Oregon

michealtaylor220

• Brakeman
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2021, 09:56:42 AM »
 8) Some GREAT ideas guy's. My big bitch is for my N Scaler buddies. When are they gonna get off their butts and come out with N scale decoders??? Promises Promises, words we never keep.......