Author Topic: Improvements to the Hand Held Throttles  (Read 17128 times)

Gibs

• Engineer
Re: Improvements to the Hand Held Throttles
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2021, 07:24:29 AM »
Tim
I wouldn't have thought anyone would buy the smaller DigiTrax type controller's either, but they do. Its all about choices I suppose and what suits people's requirements best.
Cya Down The Line.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2021, 08:11:19 AM »
This is something that I could incorporate into the bitmap builder.
One day when my programmer needs something to do, I think we'll make this happen.

That would be something to see. Too bad your programmer can't... oh wait, I can't go down that path :(

I wouldn't have thought anyone would buy the smaller DigiTrax type controller's either, but they do. Its all about choices I suppose and what suits people's requirements best.

People buy them because there is a significant cost advantage to them for their requirements. If the DigiTrax utility throttle cost the same as the full fledged DigiTrax DT602 no one would buy the utility throttle; well, I have a very hard time seeing anyone buying them because your getting less for the same cost. This is why I don't see it working for RP because the hardware requirements for a utility type throttle for RP are the same as for the full fledged HC so I don't see that there'd be any cost advantage to be had.

- Tim

ron045

• Engineer
« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2021, 08:29:21 AM »
I believe someone mentioned this earlier, but I wanted to provide a visual example.  How about a slimming effect where the users thumb and fingers would fit nice and secure.

Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 9.26.59 AM.png

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2021, 08:37:03 AM »
There's nothing stopping somebody from offering an after market 3d printed replacement case to fit the existing parts into if they really wanted it.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

ron045

• Engineer
« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2021, 08:44:26 AM »
There is actually quite a bit stopping them...

Volume and price.  The 3rd party has got to determine what their market it for this mod AND who is capable to install and willing to pay for it.

The person doing the mod MUST be capable and not the ordinary user.  Have a pro do the install makes the cost even higher and discourages users from doing the Mod.

Since Ring is soliciting ideas, I just thought wouldn't this be a great time to consider a ergonomic modification.

Maybe not....
Ron

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2021, 08:51:02 AM »
The only thing I can see about that one is:

- Major circuit board redesign (though a circuit board redesign would be required for any slimming of the case width).
- By extending the length of the controller in that fashion your moving the one-handed-thumb control away from either the throttle knob or the usual horn button.

Bill, I had thought about a 3d printed case but it's pretty full on inside the HC, the circuit board is full width all the way from the top to where the case tapers in at the sides.

- Tim

ron045

• Engineer
« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2021, 09:01:19 AM »

- By extending the length of the controller in that fashion your moving the one-handed-thumb control away from either the throttle knob or the usual horn button.

- Tim

You guys operate one handed?  I have some pretty big hands and do not feel like I have a good grip on the HC and at the same time try to navigate my thumb around for throttle or touch buttons.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #82 on: September 05, 2021, 09:56:44 AM »
You guys operate one handed?

Myself, yes and no. Due to my utter lack of having anywhere to run trains I've never really used my HC for any length of time to come to any concrete conclusion of how I use it but generally I've always used it one handed (and yes, I usually feel like I don't have a total hold of it) but I know others here do use the HC one handed all the time.

Thinking about it, in addition to being able to attach a lanyard I think a hand strap, like what's on those grip-ball toys, would be very handy.

4d93bc04-e6e8-4639-9a14-f5d078ede24a_1.168c1c4f159c0638281978918d2a403c.jpeg
Image credit: walmart.ca

- Tim
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 09:58:45 AM by G8B4Life »

Dean

• Conductor
« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2021, 03:40:54 AM »
Yes, I operate one-handed, sort of.
I hold the controller in my left hand and operate the throttle with my thumb. Button pushing is done with my right hand. But I don't do much button pushing once the train is running.
Dean

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
« Reply #84 on: October 25, 2021, 11:03:29 PM »
Tim

I did. I bought a UT6D and I plan to buy another 3-4 of them. My module set (Dallas Union Terminal) will require 3-4 switching jobs and those will be handled by a fleet of SW power. As the main benefit to RailPro is the auto load sharing, there's no reason to do major surgery on a SW frame to run it by itself. I elected to install DCC into these units as well as the superior 567 sound files that are available. The UT6 sized throttle is perfect for an operator and something that I think is much, much better sized than the HC-2's that I have. In the 7 years that I've been using RailPro there isn't a single part of it that has gotten smaller. I'm certain the N scale guys have given up and I'm not about to ask my operators to deal with the massive HC-2 all day long. It isn't user friendly nor is it comfortable to hold. RailPro used to hold a major advantage over DCC in my opinion but today I see it as a 50/50 decision. Something needs to happen or this Betamax nitch product will be quickly surpassed.
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

GMM6809

• Engineer
  • Glenn M.
« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2021, 12:53:14 AM »
How about enabling the HC for video? Seriously, I had a vision (!) today of putting a camera in-engine, and seeing the output on the HC in real time. Lionel tried this decades ago but the tech is far better today. Actually, I'm surprised no one's done this with a phone.

I am actually trying to accomplish this. I haven’t figured out how to have the image display on a cell phone, but it does transmit wirelessly to a receiver and is sent to a TV via HDMI.

I want a cab ride video that is truest from the cab of the engine.

I fried my current camera and need to order a new one. I’ll ask electrical questions in  another thread.

In regards to this topic, I’d love the dark screen look, and the lanyard loop.
Glenn M.

Staff Sergeant in the Marine Corps.

ON28

• Conductor
« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2021, 09:37:49 PM »
Maybe stream it via a web platform?