Author Topic: Software not Mac compatible  (Read 22515 times)

superCharles

• Fireman
Software not Mac compatible
« on: November 16, 2015, 06:58:40 PM »
I just joined the user group to get more info on the RailPro system with the objective of deciding whether to go with it or a DCC system. After reading through the FAQs and the software manual it seems that there is no path for Mac users at this time to use RailPro so I guess it will not be for me. A pity as it seems to be a superior control system. I wish Ring Engineering success with their endeavor. Our hobby can use some fresh ideas and innovations.

KPack

• Conductor
Re: Software not Mac compatible
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 07:33:09 PM »
True is it not Mac "compatible", however that doesn't mean that it doesn't work on at all on Mac machines.  It won't work with the mac operating system, but most Macs have Parallels which allows Windows programs to run.  It should work fine on that.  I don't have a Mac personally, but I'm pretty sure there are other Railpro users with macs.  Hopefully they can chime in. 

-Kevin

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 08:08:11 PM »
Charles, Please do take a moment and contact Ring Engineering and encourage them to provide Mac support. The more requests for it that they get, the sooner it will be developed. And perhaps they will have a suggestion for you.

Kevins suggestion of using Parallels is a good one. You can download and test the software before purchasing, so at least you can confirm the option.

Also, if parallels does not work, older laptops and PC's that do natively support RailPro are a dime a dozen. It might be possible to pick one up for the railroad room without much expense.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 09:14:45 PM »
There are used Windows XP laptops on eBay for less than $25 any day of the week. Use Remote Desktop to port to your Mac.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

superCharles

• Fireman
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 11:12:18 AM »
Thanks for the replies & I see your points. I did some checking & found a couple of PC laptops on eBay with Windows XP at a very reasonable price, considering. I was not aware that they were available so cheaply. So, I guess I'm still "in the hunt". I shy away from emulation software as we had some on Macs at our business & I never found them comfortable to use plus the fact of having to purchase the Windows OS in addition to the cost of the emulation software.

Is there a specified minimum system requirement(processor, hard drive, ports?) for the RailPro software listed anywhere? I may have missed it but did not see anywhere. Maybe when the time comes I can list the particulars of the computer that I'm interested in & ask ya'll to advise if adequate.

Thanks for the help.  Charles   

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 11:39:09 AM »
I don't see minimum requirements anywhere either. I check the website, the manual and the FAQ.

This is all I find:

Is your software to get pictures, sounds, etc, from the internet compatible with Microsoft Windows?
YES.  Our software can run on Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 2000.

Is your software to get pictures, sounds, etc, from the internet compatible with Macintosh?
No.  We currently do not have Macintosh compatible software. We have some Mac users that use bootcamp or parallels to run our PC software. We know there are some Mac users and at some point we may provide Mac compatible software.  Our newest software was written from the ground up to be multiple platform friendly.  So the software we plan to release soon will be easier to make Mac compatible than our older program.

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 11:45:10 AM »
Charles, I'd be very surprised if there is a machine that can't handle running the Railpro Assistant software.  It is not graphics or processor intensive at all.  Basically just a simple program but at this point written to work only with Windows.  If the used computer you buy can turn on and connect to the internet, then it will work fine for Railpro.

-Kevin

dfischer71

• Fireman
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 09:52:18 PM »
I have a MacBook Pro and run Parallels on it which allows me to run Windows XP.  I have a number of Windows programs that I run there and they work just fine.  So, that is an easy way to run the RP software.

Or as others suggested, get an old Windows machine and go that route. Only problem is they are old for a reason and will probably require maintenance.  I recommend the Parallels route.

Dan

drisdon

• Engineer
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 08:03:32 AM »
I've never run Windows in parallel on a Mac, but will need to for Railpro, how do I go about doing that? What software do you use?

Thanks,
Dan

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 08:10:51 AM »
My suggestion is buy a cheap used Windows laptop but if you bent on a Mac here are the popular methods: http://www.howtogeek.com/187359/5-ways-to-run-windows-software-on-a-mac/
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 08:12:15 AM »
I'm thinking the same thing as Alan. Get a cheap used windows machine for this.

Here is more info about Parallels: https://www.google.ca/search?q=Run+Windows+in+Parallels+on+a+Mac

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2016, 08:03:11 PM »
According to Ring website, one must have Windows Vista or newer which then would rule out cheaper windows computers. I am using a Mac and have done so since the very beginning and really don't mind dumping all of my DCC stuff on eBay and recouping some of the money I spent but damn if I'll buy/use a PC just to use the software.
 I have a long list of RailPro items that I would buy right away but only IF they would have software for us using Apple machines.

So I'll be just waiting on the side lines with money in hand. Cheers, the old fardt in Orygun.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2016, 09:09:04 PM »
Darryl - as a Mac user you have one of 3 options:

1.) Use Parallels on your Mac OS: https://www.parallels.com/landingpage/pd/general/?gclid=CNS3zM_8sM8CFZNcfgod7XwAOA.  Most of my buddies in school used Macs and had to use Parallels to run nearly all programs.  Much more software is written for PC rather than Mac, but thankfully there are options like Parallels that work for Mac users.

2.) Buy a cheap PC (even with Windows XP) and use either VirtualBox (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads) or VMware Player (http://filehippo.com/download_vmware_player/), which allow you to run virtual editions of other Windows.

3.) Wait for Ring to create the programs for Mac.  I've heard that this is on the docket, though I don't know a timeline.

-Kevin

Dean

• Conductor
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2016, 09:24:08 PM »
You don't need a computer to run Railpro. I'm typing this on a Linux computer. I can run RailPro just fine. When I would like to update any software, I can use VMWare Player (free) or or fire up an old PC I have in the basement, or find a friend with a PC.
Don't let Apple keep you from using the best control system for model railroading that has come out in a long time.
Dean