Author Topic: Software not Mac compatible  (Read 22512 times)

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
Re: Software not Mac compatible
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2016, 09:36:13 PM »
I have a Windows 2000 laptop that I would part with. Battery is junk as you would expect but otherwise works fine if you plug it in. $20 + shipping and it's yours.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 09:37:46 PM by Alan »
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2016, 07:05:41 AM »
I really wasn't going to weigh in on this topic, I get enough of "not Mac compatible" from someone at work but...

Don't let Apple keep you from using the best control system for model railroading that has come out in a long time.

I don't think it can be said any better than that. There are options to run the software on a Mac, heck even I don't have a supported OS on the PC I use for RP, but VirtualBox fixes that, if not a bit slower than running natively. I could probably say more but I'm too tired to think of anything else.

Perhaps, if we have anyone running non Winblows systems we can create a couple of guides for getting RailPro software to run on various OS's using virtualisation software; I know the Linux crowd will have to do that forever, native code RailPro software for Linux is just not going to happen.

Dean, what flavour of Linux you running?

- Tim

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2016, 12:10:23 PM »
Darryl - as a Mac user you have one of 3 options:

1.) Use Parallels on your Mac OS: https://www.parallels.com/landingpage/pd/general/?gclid=CNS3zM_8sM8CFZNcfgod7XwAOA.  Most of my buddies in school used Macs and had to use Parallels to run nearly all programs.  Much more software is written for PC rather than Mac, but thankfully there are options like Parallels that work for Mac users.

2.) Buy a cheap PC (even with Windows XP) and use either VirtualBox (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads) or VMware Player (http://filehippo.com/download_vmware_player/), which allow you to run virtual editions of other Windows.

3.) Wait for Ring to create the programs for Mac.  I've heard that this is on the docket, though I don't know a timeline.

-Kevin

I'm a Mac guy and run Parallels as well. I have a few aviation apps that won't run on OS either. It's a PITA but the $100 I spend on the software was worth it to me. YMMV.

Jacob
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2016, 02:24:10 PM »
I figure I'm going to lose money finding a new home for all the DCC decoders and most with sound plus the load of Tam Valley products just to buy a Windows computer or the cost of Parallels and Windows software to be able to use RailPro with downloads etc.  Many a company has made the choice to provide both.
 Just talked to a friend of mine this morning and he would like to get into RailPro but thinks twice about a PC angle. He has a Mac too. He wants me to keep him advised.
 RailPro looks really like a good thing but not for some of us.
 I'll not beat the dead horse as it most likely will not make anything change.
Bye now, the old fardt in Orygun ##########

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2016, 02:39:28 PM »
Free options...

Check out this article: http://www.imore.com/how-install-windows-10-mac-without-spending-dime

VirtualBox is free. You don't need Parallels.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2016, 02:52:19 PM »
I thought Tim said that Mac compatibility was coming?
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2016, 03:02:09 PM »
I thought Tim said that Mac compatibility was coming?

I heard the same, but not sure on the timeline.  Now that the CI-1 release is imminent, it means that Ring will be able to turn attention back to other projects, including Mac versions of Railpro software.

-Kevin

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2016, 03:04:18 PM »
The best thing MAC users can do would be to email Ring Engineering ( support@ringengineering.com ) and let them know that you are interested in a MAC version of the software.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2016, 03:45:22 PM »
The Mac availability deal is something Mac users have to live with. While I feel for you guys, from a business perspective it is a no brainer.

mktshare.PNG
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2016, 06:44:42 PM »

" PC Requirements: Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, and Vista. "   Straight from Ring Engineering website.

Looks like Windows XP are on the short end of the stick too !  I know a few friends that are still using Windows XP .

Lot of my friends are using IMac.

I still think RailPro is the way to go but surely for those whom do not have DCC and have PC computers. No brainer there.

I know there just might be different views and that is fine. Just hard to make the move considering all.

Cheers, from Ore-gun

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2016, 08:59:54 PM »
With so many options for running Windows software on a Mac, some of which are free of charge, Ring software being PC only doesn't seem like a show stopper. The dual partition/virtual OS link Bill posted looks like a real winner. A machine that can boot into Mac or PC mode would be down right handy. Even with Ring aside, it still sounds like a great thing to have. It would permit selection from the whole wide world of software without regards to operating system.

As an example here is a little piece of software I stumbled across many years ago. It is free but Windows only. Turns out it has been super handy. I find myself using it all the time. If nothing else a dual boot Mac would be nice when you come across other little gems like this.

http://joshmadison.com/convert-for-windows/

I'm not trying to sell any Mac user on the idea. Just would be sad to see another railroader miss out on RP coolness because of an operating system.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2016, 09:55:38 PM »
Darryl, the bottom line is that there are many options to make Railpro work with Mac OS as well as Windows XP.  Tons of free programs to make it possible.

Eventually the Railpro software will be coded for Mac, but I wouldn't wait for it.  If I were you I would download one of the free programs listed throughout this thread on your Mac, then install the Railpro software on the virtual Windows.  You can have all the features of Railpro right now without having to spend any money on a computer. 

Take the step into Railpro.  You'll have a blast actually running trains and not slogging through CV's.

-Kevin

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2016, 12:14:05 AM »
Darryl,

I really hope you don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to be nasty or demeaning or derogatory etc etc etc but is the roadblock the OS installed on the computer in front of you or are you subconsciously creating the OS roadblock in your mind?

The members here have given many great suggestions on how to get yourself up an running with RailPro on your Mac and it seems every one of them has hit a brick wall of "it's still not native Mac". As an aside, It's been a long time since I really looked but I don't see any Mac software from any of the DCC manufacturers either (JMRI not counted, not a manufacturer of DCC products).

For what it's worth, I've got XP running on this PC right now as I type.  XP is no longer supported for RP so I've got Win7 running in VirtualBox when I need to use RailPro software.  Once I've milked XP and Win7 for all they're worth and then migrate fully to Linux I'll have to use RailPro software in a virtual environment (VirtualBox) full time. Linux native code RailPro software? Not likely to ever happen.

The members here are willing to help but you need to take the first step.

- Tim

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2016, 12:55:57 AM »
Tim

I am not to thrilled about having any Windows on my iMac as I did that a number of years ago with parallels and that worked fine but I installed Windows XP Pro and my Mac when nuts. Had to do a disc restore but a dummy, me, gave it another try with the help of a locale computer wiz, it crashed . Nuff said. I'll just wait till Tim makes the software more friendly and I think that might happen sooner or later.  My train buddy here likes RailPro but he has an iMac too but very little DCC stuff.  So two us of will be waiting. Not a problem as I have to figure what asking price I might sell all the DCC stuff piece by piece or by the lot. Then on eBay or maybe I'll try one of the many model train websites that have listings one can use for free and hopefully find a new home for my DCC stuff. Time will tell. Many thanks to all that gave good responses. I'll most likely will be using RailPro some day.  Cheers, the old fardt  in Oregon... Darryl

Dean

• Conductor
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2016, 08:23:27 PM »
You could run 'Wine' on your Mac. It allows running of Windows programs natively on Macs. It's been around for years. Most of the Mac owners I know use it for running Windows program.
I run VMWare Player which is free. It is the premier virtual operating program for Linix, Mac, or Windows.
I kept all my DCC equipment. Instead of buying a second NCE throttle, I bought an HC-2 and some LM-2s. Now I run RailPro on my DCC system, while running DCC locomotives too.
Dean