Author Topic: Software not Mac compatible  (Read 22523 times)

emd_16645

• Conductor
    • Somerset Junction, 1980
Re: Software not Mac compatible
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2016, 07:41:37 AM »
Definitely seems the best solution is to find a cheap used Windows machine for a base station.  When I make the investment into Railpro, that will be the way I go.  I'm not going to bother with parallels or other emulation software on my mac.  In fact, I probably will initially go the route of purchasing a CI-1 instead of the HC-2, at least until I am ready for serious operation.
Chris Bellows
Somerset Junction, 1980
somersetjunction.blogspot.com

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2016, 01:17:12 PM »
Chris

I looked at buying a cheap PC but make sure if you go that route, get one with at least Vista OS  or later.
I would really think getting a HC-2 would be best as the screen feature is real nifty and maybe the CL-1 as an added back up but then I am new at this but I have spent a lot of time investigating before investing.

Sitting on the fence has sure been an interesting adventure to say the least.

Cheers. the old fardt in Orygun

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2016, 09:47:03 PM »
Here and now I made my decision. I will get everything to convert my engines plus handheld controller plus power supply along with decoders, some with sound. Other nice to have goodies too. Otherwords, load my plate FULL. I going all in for the fun of it and why not?  Cheers all for your help. Soon I'll be making a call to a dealer and invest some $$$.  The old fardt in Orygun

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2016, 10:29:43 PM »
That's exciting Darryl !
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2016, 11:28:43 PM »
Welcome to the fun Darryl  :)

If you have not seen this thread yet, we have a list of places that RailPro can be purchased. http://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,61.0.html .

Shop around, you can get some good prices significantly lower than Ring Engineering's MSRP.  Personally I can recommend Bill (pdc.ca), not just because of his good prices but Bill uses what he sells and stands behind it 100%.

- Tim

emd_16645

• Conductor
    • Somerset Junction, 1980
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2016, 04:42:45 AM »
Chris

I looked at buying a cheap PC but make sure if you go that route, get one with at least Vista OS  or later.
I would really think getting a HC-2 would be best as the screen feature is real nifty and maybe the CL-1 as an added back up but then I am new at this but I have spent a lot of time investigating before investing.

Sitting on the fence has sure been an interesting adventure to say the least.

Cheers. the old fardt in Orygun

Thanks for the info Darryl.  At the moment, my wife has a Win7 laptop (still working on converting her), but it is falling apart fast.  If it is still functional once I get Railpro, I'm hijacking it.
Chris Bellows
Somerset Junction, 1980
somersetjunction.blogspot.com

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2016, 12:15:23 AM »
Placed an order for the works so I think er know I'll be real busy after receiving my full plate order.
Going to have a lot of fun even if I go broke doing so. Cheers, the old fardt in Oregon

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2016, 07:08:54 AM »
Congratulations! Hope you enjoy it as much as I.

Word of caution... Don't do the same as I did and buy a big stack of modules. Ring releases new models frequently. Buy as you need them so you can take advantage of the new models.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2016, 08:01:05 AM »
For those interested in having a NEW windows laptop for the train room, here is a REALLY SWEET one day deal:

http://www.woot.com/offers/lenovo-n22-11-6-intel-dual-core-notebook-2?ref=w_cnt_gw_dly_tl

Lenovo N22 11.6" Notebook, Intel N3050 Dual-Core, 64GB eMMC SSD, 4GB DDR3, 802.11ac, Bluetooth, Win10Pro
$249.99 $149.99 +$5 shipping in the USA

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2016, 09:19:23 PM »
Ahh  Too late folks, sold out..  Cheers

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2016, 09:51:22 PM »
Tiger Direct has a selection of refurbished to pick from for similar price.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2016, 09:55:08 PM »
Alan

"Word of caution... Don't do the same as I did and buy a big stack of modules. Ring releases new models frequently. Buy as you need them so you can take advantage of the new models."

Not a problem as I will have all of my engines converted in short order and most likely not be buying anymore engines for I have enough to last me for now anyway. I do logging and having various logging steam engines and a few small diesels. That is all I really need. My roster might be 15 now ? I have a friend that only has 6 engines and is happy with those.. Some fellows in our local club have 50 or more ! They are still running on DC. Four of us have DCC but make that 3 after I get my order as I'll be removing those decoders. Have fun, TOF

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2016, 10:09:10 PM »
Alan is right, Tiger Direct often has some excellent options for inexpensive refurbished pc's.

Laptop wise, they have nothing under $200 in stock, but for desktops, this is a good option:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2751091&CatId=2627

In TOF's case, he will be receiving his HC preloaded with the sounds and images he chose in advance.
That should keep him busy for awhile. ;)

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2016, 07:31:29 AM »
Good choice Alan. I saw that one, but I'm sure it was showing out of stock when I looked. :)

Here are a few more NEW laptops at the $169 price point:

Lenovo ThinkPad 11e 11.6" Business NoteBook Intel N2940 Quad-Core, 128GB Solid State Drive, 4GB DDR3, 802.11ac, Bluetooth, Win10 (Open Box)
http://computers.woot.com/offers/thinkpad-chromebook-intel-celeron-n2940-9?ref=cp_cnt_wp_23_1

Lenovo ThinkPad 11e 11.6" Ultraportable Business Notebook, AMD A4-6210 Quad-Core, 128GB Solid State Drive, 4GB DDR3, 802.11ac, Bluetooth, Win10 (Open Box)
http://computers.woot.com/offers/lenovo-thinkpad-11-6-quad-core-notebook-88?ref=cp_cnt_wp_23_5