Author Topic: Software not Mac compatible  (Read 22522 times)

darryl.trains

• Conductor
Re: Software not Mac compatible
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2016, 11:09:09 AM »
I just finished removing the DCC Frog Juicers and a few other items that had to done so when I receive my goodies, I'll be ready for my new adventure.

You know that fence was not that high after reading about RailPro here and a few other websites. Some may have a lot of cash invested in DCC as I did but the bottom line, enjoyment would be the deciding factor.

I was going to hardwire my brass logging anyway and since some of my other DCC engines had a socket, I was half way there to go forward.

Aint live grand ?

Darryl in Ore-gun

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2016, 11:17:09 AM »
Some may have a lot of cash invested in DCC

That is the ever present obstacle for any new technology entry into the hobby. Imagine what it would be like if every layout was still DC with DCC and RP both starting out brand new today in their current forms. DCC would get slayed.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2016, 12:01:24 PM »
DCC would get slayed.

^This.

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2016, 08:44:52 PM »
Just in case someone might be able use this info that might need a cheap PC computer or anyone of the most expensive ones, go to frys.com .  There is a local Frys store well 50 miles or so away but they are loaded like a giant Radio Shack of years ago. LARGE store I say. Cheers, Darryl in Oregon

Dean

• Conductor
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2016, 10:17:37 PM »
Darryl,
Why did you remove the frog juicers?
Dean

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2016, 11:09:23 PM »
Ahhhh,   Hmmm,    Well I moved some of the track and just had to move some switches and out came the Frog Juicers. Guess I can use them again as why not?  I suppose I'll have to look into that as I don't have a good answer.  Thanks for the question.   Cheers

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2016, 07:14:03 AM »
Check the juicers for compatibility before installing all of them again. Juicers that rely on an AC signal on the buss won't work if there is no command signal present from the DCC booster. Have a look at this thread: http://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,172.0.html
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2016, 01:40:18 PM »
Just about the time I have it all figured out something changes. Oh not RailPro as that is a given. I will most likely will peddle the Frog Juicers along with other Tam Valley items. I found a slew of N.J. International switch machines brand new in their boxes stashed away, well I knew I had them but...  These will work just fine as they have contacts for activating various things like signals and will do the frogs too. Problem solved and now moving forward again.

Gee isn't this fun?  Cheers, Darryl

MtRR75

• Conductor
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2016, 03:23:13 PM »
Darryl - as a Mac user you have one of 3 options:

1.) Use Parallels on your Mac OS:

2.) Buy a cheap PC (even with Windows XP) and use either VirtualBox...

3.) Wait for Ring to create the programs for Mac.  I've heard that this is on the docket, though I don't know a timeline.

-Kevin

I am a Mac person.  The only time that you need a Windows machine (or any computer) is to download software updates, new sounds and loco pictures.  I delayed getting RailPro for a while due to the "Mac problem", but I went ahead and bought it, because I have access to a person who has a Windows machine (albeit 20 miles away) and will help me with this, as needed.

My problem with Parallels is that first you have to buy Parallels, then you have to buy Windows.  I have no other need for Parallels or Windows, so it is not worth the investment for me.

My problem with getting a cheap Windows computer are:  (1) the extra cost -- I would rather spend my $$$ on upgrading another loco to RailPro, and (2) I know very little about Windows (and neither does anybody in my household) so I would spend too much time figuring out Windows -- instead of running trains on RailPro.

As for option 3, I made a considerable (but quite polite) fuss to Ring Engineering about the lack of Mac access to the RailPro download site.  Also I came up with the following analogy between Model train operating systems and computers (which I later sent to Ring Engineering).

(a) In the beginning there was only the DOS command line (=DC cab control), which everybody used.  Nobody knew anything else.
(b) Then came Windows (=DCC), which was a great improvement of DOS (=DC Cab).  Lots of people used it, but there were lots of complaints about its flaws and how sometimes it was difficult to do simple things.
(c) Then came Mac OS (=RailPro), with a logical, graphical interface that is so much easier to use than Windows (DCC).

So, RailPro should really appeal to Mac users.  To me the HC-2 felt like a cross between Mac and a smart phone.  I think Ring is making a mistake not appealing to Mac users.

More Mac users should continue to lobby Ring Engineering to provide Mac access.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2016, 03:42:58 PM »
More Mac users should continue to lobby Ring Engineering to provide Mac access.

This is the best way forward.  The more that Ring hears about Mac users needing compatible software the sooner he will move on it.  I'm not a Mac user, but I don't feel that people should have to fork out for a new machine or Parallels when that money could be best spent on Railpro itself.

-Kevin

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2016, 05:13:46 PM »
(c) Then came Mac OS (=RailPro), with a logical, graphical interface that is so much easier to use than Windows (DCC).

I don't believe that is an accurate analogy although I hope it prompts Ring to pay more attention to non-Windows machines. Honestly, from a user's standpoint I don't see great functional difference between working on a Mac or a Windows machine. If you are familiar with one you should be able to use the other without much fuss. I work professionally on a W10 work station but have no problem using the Macs in the company graphics department when I need to. Likewise the graphics staff seem to have no problem using the company supplied Windows laptops. I posit your Windows fears may be founded on unfamiliarity. Try it once. You will see there are vastly more similarities than differences.

You will always know which machine you are on - if it operates silky smooth you're on the Mac, if it spits and stutters you are on the Windows PC.  :P
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

MtRR75

• Conductor
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2016, 11:32:13 PM »
You will always know which machine you are on - if it operates silky smooth you're on the Mac, if it spits and stutters you are on the Windows PC.

My point exactly.....

However, I agree that the newer versions of Windows have nearly caught up to Mac OS.  The earlier versions were more like awkward attempts to copy the Mac OS.

I am not totally unfamiliar with Windows.    At one point in my career, I was teaching college biology students how to analyze their data in Excel -- on  Windows computers -- which is what the computer lab had.  Of course Excel is pretty similar across the platforms, but I learned the basics of Windows.  However, I could never get over the two-button mouse.  After spending more than a decade pressing the WHOLE mouse, I kept pressing the wrong side of the Windows mouse, sending me off somewhere that I did not want to go.