Author Topic: LM-3S installation in On30  (Read 1647 times)

EmeryJ

• Fireman
LM-3S installation in On30
« on: August 11, 2021, 10:10:19 AM »
Hello everyone,
Has anyone had any luck getting a LM-3S module into any of the following?
They physically do not fit.  Especially when a speaker is added.
1.  On30 0-4-2 Porter.
2.  On30 Heisler.
3.  On30 Shay.
Dragging an aux. tender is going to look like crap if I have to go that route on all 3 locos.
I did manage to shoe horn one into an On30 Climax with speaker, but it was not pretty.

The LM-3S shape of long and slender works great in diesel locos, but not so much in the steam locos.
Thank you for any suggestions.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Re: LM-3S installation in On30
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 10:53:53 PM »
I think there may be only one other person here that models in On30. Hopefully darryl.trains will see your post and be able to offer some sort of assistance.

- Tim

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 11:54:08 PM »
I sure do use On30 and found the only way so far with geared engines, use the wood or coal load area and make a new load to cover the LM. Also removed the circuit board and hardwired the works. I slipped a small speaker under the cab roof and unless you get down eye level, you won't notice at all. I believe there are other ways but I really don't like carving into the engines. Actually I might be taking one of my brand new geared engines to the club tomorrow to show another member the installation of the LM from scratch. Might report progress later on with pics.
Toot toot

EmeryJ

• Fireman
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2021, 07:14:36 AM »
Thank you.  A picture would be great.  I think on the Porter, it will come down to an auxiliary tender.