Author Topic: Gevo-12 Tier 4 ULT  (Read 17988 times)

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Gevo-12 Tier 4 ULT
« on: August 20, 2021, 10:08:05 AM »
Not exactly sure when this one was put up but it wasn't there the last time I looked.

Gevo-12 Tier 4 ULT prime mover is available.

- Tim

KPack

• Conductor
Re: Gevo-12 Tier 4 ULT
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2021, 10:33:52 PM »
It is not available quite yet.  The file name is there but there is currently no file behind it.  Ring released it, but pulled the file down soon after.  There was something he didn't like in the file, or some other issue.  It will be released soon according to Ring.  Not sure of exact timeline though.  I am really looking forward to it.

-Kevin

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2021, 05:23:26 PM »
Modern modelers rejoice!  The Tier 4 GEVO ULT file is now available.  I haven't tried it yet but will do so tonight. This file will be correct for all ET44 series locomotives.

Count it... that's TWO new prime mover sounds within about a week. Good to see sounds flowing again.

-Kevin

Gibs

• Engineer
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2021, 07:03:47 PM »
Now all I need is a Gevo-16 ULT and a Small Switcher ULT sound file (50-100 tonn mark) and that' s me all done.  ;D
Cya Down The Line.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2021, 09:36:21 PM »
Gibs - All GEVO's in North America use the GEVO-12 prime mover.  The only 16 cylinder GEVO is an export model found in China and Brazil, and maybe some other countries.  Are you trying to model one of those?  If so, I fear you will never see a prime mover file for that locomotive.  If you are modeling a US, Canadian, or Mexican road then you should use the GEVO-12 ULT file.

-Kevin

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2021, 12:03:55 AM »
Just had the opportunity to test the Tier 4 sound file.  I'm pretty unfamiliar with how the new ET44's sound, and there are very few videos of them online.  They are definitely quiet compared to the Dash 9's and even the ES44 series.  The ET's don't have the typical "GE Chug" that the other locomotives have.  Some engineer friends say that the ET's are just a pleasure to drive....they are by far the quietest cab ride of all the current running locomotives.  They say that in the cab you can't hardly tell that the prime mover is running. 

So from what I can tell the prime mover file is good.  It is definitely a change from the typical prime mover sound.  Much quieter and no real chugging.  The notches up and down are smooth.  There are several new air blast recordings which are very nice.  In a consist of ET44, ES44, and Dash 9 the combined sounds are amazing.  The Tier 4 sound blends right in and fills it out.

As a side note, the file that Loksound uses for their ET44 was recorded from a GE E4C6T.  I can't find any information on that.  I don't think it's a locomotive.  I believe it may be either from a standalone engine or from a similar type GE engine in another use (non-railroad).  Their file sounds completely different.  The Railpro sound was recorded directly from a Tier 4 locomotive.

-Kevin

Gibs

• Engineer
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2021, 07:06:41 AM »
KPack
The Gevo 16 (early) was installed in the Australian BHP GE AC6000CW for pre-production testing just before the AC6000CW (4 out of the eight I believe) over here had a very bad accident. After that and for other reasons as well they were all scraped. So the engines that have been installed into the Australian AC6000CW's were the GE 7HDL16, and the GEVO-16. Since I'd like to mix the engine sounds up a tad, would really like to have both. I can sorta get away with the 7FDL16 ULT Late as a HDL, but a Gevo 16...... might have to make do with the 12.
 BTW, CSX Transportation has re-powered many of their AC6000CW units from 16-7HDL engines to GEVO-16 to make them more reliable and environmentally friendly. These units are capable of 5,800 hp (4,300 kW) but are rated at 4,600 hp (3,400 kW) and classified as CW46AH.
Cya Down The Line.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2021, 10:41:50 AM »
...As a side note, the file that Loksound uses for their ET44 was recorded from a GE E4C6T.  I can't find any information on that.

Apparently that's what BNSF called GECX's demo ET44AC's. From https://www.flickr.com/photos/kodachrome9319/16540335104/.

- Tim