Author Topic: HC screen issue  (Read 2170 times)

ON28

• Conductor
HC screen issue
« on: September 28, 2021, 12:30:02 PM »
Hello group--

I powered up my HC the other day and saw a thin red line had suddenly appeared on the home screen (and every other ops screen). It is visible to the left in this photo, and especially visible in room light. The unit isn't brand new, but has never been dropped or mishandled, and never been opened. I recharge properly, and keep the software up to date. I have emailed Ring but thought I'd share here, maybe someone else has had this issue. Thanks for your attention, RP is my primary ops tech!

CPRail

• Conductor
  • You know, sometimes I amaze even myself.
Re: HC screen issue
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 12:37:09 PM »
I've got the same line, but on the right side of the screen. This was after it came back from Ring for an issue. Doesn't seem to affect anything that I can determine, just annoying.
Ian Lisakowski
Modelling CP Rail & VIA in the early 80's

ON28

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 08:25:15 PM »
I think this is the one that was into Ring for repairs once as well.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2021, 12:11:53 AM »
That certainly looks like a fault with the screen. I can't remember the terminology but I recall seeing the same thing on TV's at a "factory seconds" store once, all had a dud line down the screen. It won't affect operation of the HC as the screens are based on simple X-Y offsets, and there is no button that is only 1 pixel wide  :D

I'd have to look but I'm sure I still have the DigiKey part number for it as I looked it up once when I thought I had broken a HC screen. It wasn't expensive if I recall correctly but I don't know if calibration would be needed for a new screen or not.

Edit: I knew I had posted it before. It's been a long while since I've been into the HC but I'm sure this this is the one as it's the one I posted when I had my HC open for a fault years ago: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/newhaven-display-intl/NHD-3.5-320240MF-ATXL-T-1/2165879?cur=USD&lang=en

- Tim
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 12:32:26 AM by G8B4Life »

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2021, 06:31:43 AM »
Contact Ring and let us know what he says. I'm confident he will replace the screen at no charge.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

ON28

• Conductor
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2021, 05:45:06 PM »
This was the answer I promptly received from Support. Note: My HC is no longer under warranty.

"Sorry that you had a problem. All of our products that are over $40 are reparable.

How long ago was the HC purchased?  If it is less than a year old this will likely be covered under our warranty.  We would need to have it here for us to inspect to be sure it is covered under our warranty.  If it is only a couple years old, we may choose to offer a discounted repair because we expect all of our products to last for many years without problems.  In the event that our warranty does not apply to this case, the likely worst case repair fee would be $60 plus return shipping if your HC is a model HC-2b."