Author Topic: Ring Out of Business?  (Read 3724 times)

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
Ring Out of Business?
« on: January 13, 2022, 09:06:27 PM »
We’re setting up a Free-mo layout this weekend  and one of our regulars is a very large and well known retailer. They’re being told that Ring is out of business and they’ve had modelers calling this week scooping up the last of their Fred stock.

Any intel about this?
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: Ring Out of Business?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 09:12:19 PM »
Ring shipped an order to me last week and I talked to them yesterday about some other orders I expect to ship next week.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 09:22:08 PM »
I sent an HC in for repairs and received it back a few days ago. An email note from TR did not mention anything about shutting down.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 11:30:59 PM »
Sounds like someones just trying to stir up trouble, or extra business. Given how secretive Ring is about many things I doubt anybody would know in advance, we'd all know at the same time when it when Ring announced it .

- Tim

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 12:28:32 AM »
For some reason the FREDs are not being produced currently, and that is being noticed.  I don't know why, but my guess is that parts are an issue to obtain, or maybe he just decided to move full to Railpro and nothing else.  I believe that back during the height of the pandemic he was having a hard time getting certain parts to assemble circuit boards.  That's probably still the case now given the rise in inflation and shipping problems.  I'm currently not concerned.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 05:56:31 AM »
@William Brillinger

Bill, do us a favor and let us know immediately if in fact Ring is closing so we can harvest hobby shop inventories.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 06:59:14 AM »
I will certainly do that.

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

TwinStar

• Conductor
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2022, 08:57:40 AM »
Sounds like someones just trying to stir up trouble, or extra business. Given how secretive Ring is about many things I doubt anybody would know in advance, we'd all know at the same time when it when Ring announced it .

- Tim

Tim,

I can assure you that nothing could be further from the truth. This is a very large retailer and their Ring sales are a rounding error. They came to me asking for information and I told them I had no idea but that I’d ask.

Jacob
Jacob Damron

trmhs.org

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2022, 09:15:03 AM »
They came to me asking for information and I told them I had no idea but that I’d ask.

Perhaps you should contact Ring instead of perpetuating such a rumor?

As a dealer I can tell you that aside from some longer delays in OCT-NOV product seems to be flowing at it's normal pace right now.

TwinStar

• Conductor
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2022, 09:46:25 AM »
They came to me asking for information and I told them I had no idea but that I’d ask.

Perhaps you should contact Ring instead of perpetuating such a rumor?

As a dealer I can tell you that aside from some longer delays in OCT-NOV product seems to be flowing at it's normal pace right now.

How am I spreading a rumor? I presented the question that was asked of me and I asked the same question here. If they can’t get in touch with Ring them how would I assume to be able to? It seemed that a good group to query was this one. I didn’t realize everyone was so touchy.
Jacob Damron

trmhs.org

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: Ring Out of Business? - ANSWER: NO
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2022, 09:56:01 AM »
ok, I contacted Tim Ring.

This is in regards to a large model train retailer that only purchased EOT's.

Official word from from Ring:

We stopped production of our EOT devices which is all that they bought from us.
This will allow us to focus on our RailPro products which is a great thing for RailPro.

End of Story.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 10:35:04 AM by William Brillinger »

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2022, 10:00:33 AM »
How am I spreading a rumor? I presented the question that was asked of me and I asked the same question here. If they can’t get in touch with Ring them how would I assume to be able to? It seemed that a good group to query was this one. I didn’t realize everyone was so touchy.

People tend not to read question marks. They read the headlines and draw conclusions. By not trying to get an answer from ring yourself first you perpetuated or created the perception that Ring may be out of business. A simple email to Ring on your own would have clarified the situation and not induce a sense of panic in the Railpro community.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2022, 11:28:51 AM »
Ring's response was what I expected.  Though I will say I'm bummed that they won't be producing the EOT's anymore.  I could use several more of them.  Had I known I would have purchased before production stopped.

Good to see new products and new sound files coming out.  The only thing I hope is that releases of sound files can somehow be sped up.  I personally would love to see duplicates/alternate files of some sounds (two recordings of the EMD 16-645E3 would be great).

-Kevin