Author Topic: Installing a Mars Light  (Read 1632 times)

Coupe633

• Fireman
Installing a Mars Light
« on: February 15, 2022, 11:26:10 AM »
I have searched but have not found anything about actually connecting the LM3-S to a Mars Light. I see in the RailPro downloads there are several types of Mars lights and am not sure exactly what they mean but I think that depending on the light installed in the locomotive will determine which effect you want to use. There are Mars Dual Sync Rev2, Mars Rev2 and Mars. Some locomotives depending on brand will have two bulbs or LED's while others may just have a single bulb or LED and the electronics will do magic to simulate the effect alternating between two bulbs.

I have a couple Proto 2000 E Units that have a head light and a Mars light. I am not sure how to connect the wires from the LM3-S to the wires on the Bulb.  The Head light (top light) it has a black wire and a yellow wire. This should be fairly standard on connecting this to the LM3-s with one of the wires connected to the blue neutral wire on the LM3-s.

The lower Mars light has a blue wire, a red wire and a red wire so I must assume that because there are three wires one is the neutral and can be connected to the LM3-S blue Neutral wire. The other two (unsure which ones) will pulsate or switch on and off alternately giving the effect of a mars light. I am not sure which wires would be connected to which wires on the LM3-S.

Seems that the Head light would connect to the White wire on the LM3-S like I have done on other Non-Mars light E units. That leaves me the Yellow, Green and Violet wires on the 9pin. Which light effect would I want to use for this type of wiring arrangement and which wires do I use?

I am not entirely sure that the Bulbs are LED's.
 Not being an electrical engineer I am not entirely sure how the LED would perform the Mars function like it has two separate bulbs. Should I replace the lights with LEDs and is there a special LED that allows for the Mars Light to function?

I appreciate any help in this seemingly complicated wiring and as I convert more and more of my locomotives to RailPro I have learned quit a bit.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 09:14:38 PM by Coupe633 »

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Re: Installing a Mars Light
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2022, 01:28:05 AM »
A cursory search suggests that the mars light in the P2K E units you have with three wires is in fact a dual filament globe, the blue wire being the common (remember, in DCC and RP universes positive is the common, not neutral). It also appears that you might have early models that are not DCC ready with a DCC socket.

If you have an early model I'd suggest watching this video as it may give you some ideas (If it were me I'd just rewire the whole thing, does yours match this?): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvhAxTQtQTI.

It really will all come down to how you want to wire the models; the circuit board in the E units has the circuitry to mimic the effect of a mars light with the dual filament globe and you could possibly use it if you really wanted but you'd need to make sure that the power it provides to the globes is within capability of the LM's output. Most people would replace the globes (and board) with LEDs.

Rings Mars effect is for doing that mimicry with single LEDs (even the dual), a single LED is what you'd use in this case.

As for which wire to use on the LM, it doesn't matter, besides blue of course you can hook up to any of them because with RP you tell it what colour wire does what.

- Tim

Coupe633

• Fireman
Re: Installing a Mars Light
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2022, 09:03:52 PM »
Tim I very much appreciate your comments and explanation. I was not sure what kind of stock bulb Lifelike used and now I know it is a dual filament globe and I watched the youtube link video which provided additional explanation and visuals. I had searched on the RailPro Users Group but did not find anything and wasn't sure what to look for to get the explanations on any third party sites. It does make sense now to simply replace the stock globes and install LEDs. 4 of the 5 Proto 2000's are early runs and the fifth has the 8 pin DCC ready socket but I am pulling all the boards anyway and hard-wiring the modules in. I have some LED's on order and will follow up here on the results in a couple weeks when I finished now that I know what to do.