Author Topic: Bachmann GP40-2  (Read 5257 times)

KB02

• Engineer
Bachmann GP40-2
« on: March 01, 2022, 06:28:34 AM »
I'm putting an LM3-S into my Bachmann GP40-2.

Without the shell on it looks like this:

Without the decoder installed, I wanted to see how much room I had to work with, so I stole borrowed some of my kids' Play Dough, made a little roll and put the shell back on to squish it down:

Turns out I had WAY MORE room than I expected. Great!

With the 9 pin harness wired in, the LM will sit snugly hear the front of the cab and the iPhone 4 speaker near the back:

I started with the speaker glued into the shell, but decided to change that arrangement and hold it onto the weight instead. Less wires to deal with, when all was said and done.

AND... that's where I forgot to keep taking pictures... Sorry. BUT, the rest of the install was pretty straight forward. I did some more lighting work, which took a while (2mm LED are a PAIN in the BUTT to work with!!!), and then I did take one more photo. Do your work areas end up looking like mine?

(ignore the birthday cake ;D )

In the photo, though, you can see the loco sitting with the LM and speaker strapped into their place. I need some Kapton tape instead that think black E-Tape. With everything back on and installed, it is working great.

CPRail

• Conductor
  • You know, sometimes I amaze even myself.
Re: Bachmann GP40-2
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2022, 08:00:46 AM »
Hey KB02,

My work area tends to look the same, but I don't have Chocolate Cake!
Ian Lisakowski
Modelling CP Rail & VIA in the early 80's