Author Topic: ULT Prime Movers?  (Read 2531 times)

KB02

• Engineer
ULT Prime Movers?
« on: March 01, 2022, 06:30:29 AM »
IN the list of Prime Mover sounds, there are some that have ULT after the name right next to the same name without. What does the ULT stand for?

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Re: ULT Prime Movers?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2022, 06:45:40 AM »
It stands for Ultimate. These are better quality recordings with perhaps a bit of better finesse with how the files are played as well.

- Tim

gregeusa

• Engineer
    • Greg's web site
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2022, 08:11:45 PM »
Are there any objective specifications as opposed to better? Higher bitrate?

Greg
Lots of tips and techniques on my site: www.elmassian.com contact me greg@elmassian.com

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2022, 10:58:01 PM »
ULT sound files are recordings taken while the subject prototype locomotive was under load, through all 8 notches.  They were taken with quality recording equipment and are as accurate as you can get.

On the software side on things they are far superior to the old sounds also.  The bitrate they play at is the same, but the files are created in a way that makes it nearly impossible to detect a loop on the recording.  When listening to a file it sounds natural, instead of hearing the same loop over and over.  The notch transitions are much smoother on the ULT sounds than on the old Railroad sounds. 

Do a test yourself.... Download the old EMD 645 Turbo sound, then compare it to the ULT sound.  Not even in the same galaxy.

gregeusa

• Engineer
    • Greg's web site
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2022, 01:24:14 PM »
Great, thanks for the information, was wondering how many sounds were "new" / original, and how many were "captured" from other places, sound files are usually jealously guarded by the people who record them, many stories of "espionage" between competing sound recorders.

Greg
Lots of tips and techniques on my site: www.elmassian.com contact me greg@elmassian.com

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2022, 01:50:39 PM »
Most of the ULT files were provided by one or two Railpro users who have access to working locomotives.  On that note, of anyone else has access and can get recordings, I encourage you to talk to Tim Ring and see what he needs. We all love new recordings, but most of us are unable to record them.

Speaking of ULT sounds, I encourage you to compare them to the top DCC offerings.  Listen to Loksound's 16-645 E3, then listen to Railpro's.  To my ear the Railpro sound is superior and sounds much more natural.

Kevin

gregeusa

• Engineer
    • Greg's web site
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2022, 02:00:57 PM »
I will, ESU is not on my top list of quality American sounds, the European manufacturers have a history of poor US support.

Greg