Author Topic: LM-2 in a Trackmobile  (Read 3064 times)

Prostreetamx

• Fireman
  • Modern BNSF
LM-2 in a Trackmobile
« on: December 03, 2015, 09:47:44 AM »
Not ready just yet to try it myself but I purchased 3 trackmobiles with DCC before I decided to switch to RailPro. I was looking at a full blown Digitrax setup for my 20x20 double deck layout. These Trackmobiles will probably only be operated in an isolated section of track where I intend to to use a shortline railroad to provide switching to a few industries. The mainline trains will be dropping off loads and empties at a track feeding this industrial section so the Tracmobiles will never be on the main. I could feed this area with a DCC power supply and would still be able to operate RailPro switch engines in the same area. I realize I would probably need a transition track where the voltage would be switched over so I don't run across a gap with different voltage supplies but I would just prefer to use a trimmed down RailPro decoder in the long term. I doubt at this time that even a LM-2 would fit but I have never taken apart one of these Trackmobiles. I doubt any decoder would fit and they probably had them custom made to fit this very small unit. I am not sure if they even have lights. I know thy only have one operating coupler. Any suggestions other than adding a boxcar permanently coupled or strapping the module on the roof.
Modeling modern BNSF on 20x20 freelanced double deck layout under construction.

KPack

• Conductor
Re: LM-2 in a Trackmobile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 10:13:16 AM »
You probably won't be able to get a LM-2 in there, even if you took off the casing.  Those are very small models with very limited space inside.  People that have added DCC to them use Z-scale decoders.  I've seen some with lights, but that would be a miserable thing to try and add.  I think you're plan of having the Trackmobile section in DCC with a buffer track is probably the best route to go.  Not ideal, but I don't think there is a way around it at this point.  Once Ring makes Railpro for N-scale then you will probably be in business.

-Kevin

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 10:19:09 AM »
I have been contemplating the same thing since I have a non DCC Trackmobile for one of my Grain Elevators.

I have isolated the elevator zone where the trackmobile will be permitted to go and have created separate zone for it's parking track, where it will tuck out of the way when the big boys come to switch.

I plan to put a toggle on the elevator zone that will flop between regular track power and track power that is FED from an LM2S.
This will allow the LM2S to be under the benchwork and still control the Trackmobile from the HC2. Added Bonus: Sound!

The parking track will be fed only from the LM2S.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 10:20:41 AM by William Brillinger »
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Prostreetamx

• Fireman
  • Modern BNSF
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 10:25:42 AM »
Hadn't thought of powering the track with a module but I believe my area is too big where multiple engines could operate at the same time and my Trackmobiles are already DCC. I doubt a module could power multiple engines and they would all be getting the same signal.
Modeling modern BNSF on 20x20 freelanced double deck layout under construction.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 10:30:09 AM »
Right, it would only work for a zone where 1 trackmobile would be present.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.