Author Topic: Are RING Engineers Left-Handed?  (Read 5088 times)

KB02

• Engineer
Are RING Engineers Left-Handed?
« on: March 19, 2022, 06:00:59 AM »
So this question is both serious and completely irrelevant. I'm just curious.  ;D

Been doing a lot of work on my layout including converting two more locos to Railpro and downloading ad updating... yada, yada, yada... As I've been using the controller, I've been noticing how some buttons are in the reverse order that what my right-handed brain wants them to be (like the Next and Previous Button buttons in one of the settings screens). Just anecdotally wondering if they were designed by a left-handed person?

You know, they say that the right side of your brain controls the left side of your body and the left side of your brain controls the right side of your body. Therefor, only left-handed people are in their right mind.  ;D ;D ;D

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Re: Are RING Engineers Left-Handed?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2022, 07:21:56 AM »
... Just anecdotally wondering if they were designed by a left-handed person?

Doubtful this is the reason, and in fact early on the direction button was on the right side of the screen and got changed to the left side.

You could do a whole study on this but from my fading observations a great many people I have seen use their throttles in the left hand. My guess is that perhaps subconsciously, for a right handed person, the fine motor skills in the left hand are fine enough to manipulate a throttle leaving the dominant hand with the best fine motor skills free to do other finer manipulation, such as uncoupling, re-railing a derailed locomotive, moving a stalled train by hand etc or even just pressing other buttons on a throttle when using both hands.

Personally I use the HC in the left hand but I'm not strictly right handed; and not truly ambidextrous either.

- Tim

PS, I've not forgotten the network problem, just had a very busy couple of weeks.

KB02

• Engineer
Re: Are RING Engineers Left-Handed?
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2022, 06:29:09 AM »
PS, I've not forgotten the network problem, just had a very busy couple of weeks.

Ha, ha! No problem. Me, too. Made a post in that thread.