Author Topic: Programming Issues with LM-4S-G  (Read 2888 times)

Gino

• Fireman
Programming Issues with LM-4S-G
« on: April 08, 2022, 11:31:56 PM »
I am having issues with trying to program an LM-4S-G.
I have downloaded the software for the LM-4S-G per the instructions.
I tried to set the full load current but that is handled in another thread.
I downloaded a new sound file, EMD645 Turbo ULT, successfully.

When I tried to set the outputs for the lighting functions I could only program 4 outputs. I could not see the last 2 outputs.

The colour codes for the outputs on the controller did not correspond to the color codes on the wiring harness.
Example, programming output 1 on the controller was White but it corresponded the Orange wire.
Got this figured out but only had 4 outputs.
I pre selected the outputs based on the color codes in the manual so I really do not want to rewire everything.

I also could not load the sound file for the motor function key.

I did program 2 other locomotives that have LM-3S-G modules without any problems.

To the best of my knowledge I followed the instructions in the manual.
Am I missing something?

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Re: Programming Issues with LM-4S-G
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2022, 09:47:12 AM »
First thing, is your HC-2b up to date? The latest HC-2b software is 2.26 and according to Ring you need to be using this version to properly access the LM-4S-G.

Secondly, (I assume is it) but is your LM-4S-G running on the latest software. Latest version for the LM-4S-G is 1.01

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head other than not having the correct software versions on the HC and LM that might cause this.

- Tim

Gino

• Fireman
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2022, 12:51:27 PM »
OK here is the update.
I did update the HC-2b software as suggested. What was loaded on the HC was not the same version as on the RailPro Assist page. And while I was at it I updated the LM-4S-G software too even though it looked like it was up to date.

The memory in the HC was getting low so I thought I would delete some of the sound files I loaded as there were some duplicates. I checked to see what the prime movers were in the locomotives I have and discovered that I had the wrong sound files loaded. I deleted the duplicate files and downloaded the appropriate sound files I wanted.

The good news is that all the outputs showed up in the LM-4S-G and I was able to program all the lighting functions I wanted. I was also able to load the sound file for the locomotive in question. Everything seems to work properly now.

So now that I got that problem solved, thanks for all the help, I decided to load the correct sound files for the other locomotives  LM-3S-G modules with the wrong sounds.

Well this did not go very well. I thought I had loaded the appropriate sound files but they were not found when I tried to change the settings in the button setup page.

Not sure where to go from here. I loaded the LM-3S-G software to make sure I had the latest version and loaded the sound files again. Tried to change the sound files but not luck.

I also noticed that when I went to delete the sound files what appeared on the page was a picture of the HC with a corresponding number of one of the locomotives. The one with the LM-4S-G.

The other thing that was puzzling was that when I tried to load the sound file on the button setup page there were several listings as follows: LM-3S-G Hardware Description. This also appeared when I was trying to figure out the problem programming the LM-4S-G but that has disappeared now.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
I really appreciate all the help so far.

Gino

wgrr

• Brakeman
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 09:41:37 AM »
Gino you need to COPY the files you downloaded to the correct loco and then you can assign
John
Winona Garden Railway
Guelph Ontario

Gino

• Fireman
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 07:52:16 PM »
I finally got things running. Everything seems to be working properly.
I really appreciated the "Illustrated Downloading, Copying and Updating Guide". It came just at the right time and was well written.
The video of the "Complete LM-4S-G install in O Scale Engine" was also very helpful.
I am looking forward to the next project, downloading pictures of the actual locomotives.

Thanks for all the suggestions from everyone.
It is very nice to have this resource.

Gino

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2022, 06:15:09 AM »
Glad to hear you got everything working!

I am looking forward to the next project, downloading pictures of the actual locomotives.

For this, you may find the RailPro Bitmap Builder useful.
And more info on the bitmap builder: https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,651.0.html
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2022, 06:36:36 AM »
For this, you may find the RailPro Bitmap Builder useful.
And more info on the bitmap builder: https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,651.0.html

The RailPro Bitmap builder got a good plug in the "Complete LM-4S-G install in O Scale Engine" videos ;)

If I can find my original work I'll update that Illustrated guide too.

- Tim

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2022, 08:04:55 AM »
Thanks for the heads up - that's a great tutorial!
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.