Author Topic: Railpro Assistant connection issue fixed? Hmmmm  (Read 8998 times)

zr1rob

• Fireman
Railpro Assistant connection issue fixed? Hmmmm
« on: April 24, 2022, 05:24:47 PM »
according to this post https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,706.0.html the Assistant connection issue has been fixed.

Not for me. I'm running 4.01 on an HC2sun, and have not connected to the server after several dozen attempts. The handheld will connect to the computer but not the internet.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Re: Railpro Assistant connection issue fixed? Hmmmm
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2022, 11:29:59 PM »
No, it's not 100% fixed, but the major part of the problem (99%), which was at the server was fixed. The remaining part of the problem (1%) that's within RPA isn't fixed but shouldn't cause an issue for the greater majority of users.

A few possible reasons for not being able to connect with RPA these days, in order of probability, are

- The firewall or antivirus on the PC is blocking RPA's access to the internet
- The RPA server was down at the time
- Some other program or service on the PC is using port 4608 locally
- You have a weird wireless network problem that is causing NAT table corruption
- You don't have IPv4 connectivity to the internet

It appears from your other threads that you have successfully connected before so has anything changed with the PC since then, new software?, windows update?  anything?

As for my UDP Test tool in the thread you referenced, I removed it as the issue is "fixed" for the greater majority of users and there are better tools available now for diagnosing problems than that tool I wrote years ago.

- Tim

zr1rob

• Fireman
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2022, 02:01:40 PM »
I did connect finally after the post. The connection usually will happen with the first try, but followups will fail. However, it seems theres something holding things up in the background, and when that something goes away, I can connect. Maybe a process started with the first login that doesnt terminate when the HC2 disconnects? Anyway, if I try to connect later - maybe 10-20 minutes later, without any intermediate tries, it connects. Hopefully this recounting helps.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2022, 01:21:13 AM »
Ok, we need to clarify something here so we're both on the same page, as what your saying isn't actually how the system works.

The HC has nothing to do with RPA's connection to Rings server. RPA will connect with Rings server with or without the HC connected and will show it's status at the top middle of RPA's window (internet connected or internet not connected). The HC simply instructs RPA to download files and feed them to the HC.

So, this is what I believe your experiencing:

- RPA will connect (shows internet connected), then after closing it when you open RPA again it will not connect again for maybe 10-20 minutes (shows internet not connected and you get a cannot connect error).

If that's not correct please try and detail the sequence of steps that you take, including what RPA is reporting at each step.

- Tim

Rob

• Fireman
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2022, 03:19:30 PM »
Been quite a while because no trains iin the summer here in AZ. Still having problem getting the Assistant to connect to internet. HC2 will connect, but "internet not connected" is shown at top. Many many tries, unplug mini USB jack, turn off HC and turn on, restart Assistant with HC connected, restart without. No other foreground progs running.

Simply frustrating. Thanks for any help.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2022, 05:55:13 AM »
What kind of computer are you using?
What operating system?
What kind of internet service?
Is the internet connection stable for other programs, when you are having problems with RPA connecting to the internet?
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Rob

• Fireman
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2022, 11:16:35 AM »
Win10 64, on a Lenovo laptop, and Dell Desktop, both have worrked intermittently in the past
Starlink, absolutely stable

I can start Assistant from the desktop icon, and it will immediately show USB Connected, but no internet. After a while, it will say Error - cannot connect to RE server. Am running 4.01

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2022, 11:27:14 AM »
I suggest giving Ring Engineering a call on this one.

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Rob

• Fireman
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2022, 09:46:14 AM »
I uninstalled Assistant, rebooted, reinstalled and it hooked up to Ring's site.

Downloaded and installed the latest HC2b firmware, then went to run trains.

Came back in, and tried to hook up again to download the latest LMS4G. no internet.

This one's above my pay grade.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2022, 12:21:05 PM »
"no internet."

Did you try browsing the internet with a web browser to see if it was limited to the RPA, or was the internet just "out"?