Author Topic: DCC Function Mapping  (Read 1527 times)

gcarter1945

• Fireman
DCC Function Mapping
« on: April 24, 2022, 03:52:21 PM »
I'm in the process of building some Free-Mo Modules, one of which will have a Timesaver configuration that runs on DCC.  I have another modular setup with a Timesaver that I take to various train shows and let the kids run the trains. This module runs on DC, that has a the locomotive at a set speed, and the kids control the direction of the locomotive with a rocker switch (Forward, Center Off, Backwards).

I've let my grandkids run my home layout (DCC with half the locomotive fleet RailPro).  They love it, but some get confused with the HC-2 throttle, and end up deselecting the assigned locomotive.  Therefore, on the new Free-Mo modules, I plan on letting the kids use my digitrax UT-4 throttle with only a direction switch and speed control knob and limited functions available (lights, horn, bell, and engine sounds).  To keep things sane, I have adjusted the speed table in the LM3-S so that the locomotive will not go 100MPH.

I'm trying to set up the function keys to control only the lights, horn, bell, and engine sounds (F0, F1, F2, and F6, respectively).  If I want to change the setting, I need to go through the process of assigning the DCC function twice to get it to take.  Is that normal?

The other issue I have is that some of the HC2 function keys, e.g. load, coupler clash, brake set, etc., I don't want mapped to any DCC function and therefore not available, to lessen the confusion and complexity of controlling the locomotive.  Some LM3-S functions already have DCCx assigned, others have a number assigned, that I don't want to use.  How do I program in DCCx on the functions that I don't want the UT4 to access?

Thanks in advance for considering my dilemma.

Geoff,
Too soon old, too late smart.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Re: DCC Function Mapping
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2022, 12:23:02 AM »
You shouldn't need to go through the process of assigning the DCC function twice to get it to take, I didn't have to when I just tested it now.

There isn't a simple way to set a button to not be mapped to a DCC function (DCCx), which is a bit of an oversight.  The workaround is a bit time consuming but what you need to do it is:

First, assign a button you don't want mapped to DCC a function number that you will use on something else, eg , coupler clash = F0.
Second, assign the button you want to use that function number the function number, eg lights = F0

You'll notice that coupler clash is then set to DCCx as you reassigned F0 somewhere else. The easiest way to do this is to first go along and set each HC button that has a DCC function number the same function number, eg F0 (remember, each button will become unmapped as you go along reassigning the function number to other buttons) and then assign the buttons you do want mapped the correct function numbers.

Hopefully that all made sense.

- Tim

gcarter1945

• Fireman
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2022, 09:24:02 PM »
Thanks Tim,

I'll give it a try in the morning.

Geoff
Too soon old, too late smart

GMM6809

• Engineer
  • Glenn M.
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2022, 12:58:47 AM »
Hey Geoff,

I was having a similar issue, where I would set the function to a specific number, said 'ok' or whatever is said, and then back on the other screen it didn't change. I thought it didn't take so I would do it again.

I have since discovered that once you set it to a specific number, that when you're on the main screen, you move to the next or previous programable button and then go back that it in fact did save it. the main page just doesn't seem to refresh after the initial setting was changed.

I hope that makes sense

-Glenn
Glenn M.

Staff Sergeant in the Marine Corps.

gcarter1945

• Fireman
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2022, 05:02:12 PM »
Thanks for the input Glen.