Author Topic: Powering a scratch built turntable?  (Read 8172 times)

KB02

• Engineer
Powering a scratch built turntable?
« on: October 28, 2022, 12:58:40 PM »
Hello all,
I scratch built a turn table for my layout and had been running it, while on DCC, with a simple DC motor connected through a basic decoder. Now that I have completed my RailPro conversion, I have been rethinking how I am going to run the table. Will the RailPro Accessory controller power this thing? Or am I going to have to get inventive?

CPRail

• Conductor
  • You know, sometimes I amaze even myself.
Re: Powering a scratch built turntable?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2022, 01:57:48 PM »
I connected my turntable to a LM-3S (with bad sound connections) and it works fine. I've been told you can convert a LM into an AM, but I haven't figured out how to do that, so I just use it as a LM. Forward or backwards and I've adjusted the power curve so that turns at a realistic rate.

I just fed the power bus into the power leads on the LM and then the motor leads connect to the motor like in a loco.

Is an LM overkill for this, yes, but I wasn't going to us it for a loco as the sound connections are FUBAR so at least it's getting used!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 01:59:36 PM by CPRail »
Ian Lisakowski
Modelling CP Rail & VIA in the early 80's

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2022, 02:06:38 PM »
To convert an LM to an AM, you update it with the Product Program for "LM-3 Accessory Rev #" or "LM-S Accessory Rev #" instead of the normal "LM-3 Rev #" or "LM-3S Rev #"
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

JRad

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2022, 05:03:49 PM »
The advantage of using an accessory module, or a converting an LM to an AM, is that you have access to programming logic and inputs for things like track index points.  I use an AM along with some external electronics to operate servo driven turnouts on my indoor large scale layout. One turnout leads directly to a lift out bridge. I put a switch on the bridge that indicates when it is open and connected that to an AM input. Logic looks at the input prevents the turnout from selecting the route to the bridge if it is open.

KB02

• Engineer
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2022, 06:45:25 AM »
Using an LM would certainly be easier since the whole set up is set for a basic DCC decoder. I would just have to have plug in the LM to the existing 9 pin plug and I'd be all set. The question is: I have one loco without sound. Do I get an LM-3S for that loco and use the basic one for the turntable? Or just buy an extra basic LM?

Is the process for converting an LM to an AM documented somewhere?

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2022, 07:09:58 AM »
Is the process for converting an LM to an AM documented somewhere?

It is, it's in the RailPro Assistant manual (page 23, which then tells you to go to page 20), but it's almost just easier to tell you.
  • Download the LM-3 (or LM-3S depending on which one you use) product program to the HC from RPA.
  • Update the LM program. If you have both the standard and accessory LM program in the HC you'll be asked which one you want to load, which would be accessory.
  • You can now load accessory projects to the Accessory LM.
There is a couple of programs for turntables already available in RPA but they are for the AM-1, so you would have to re-create them by hand for the LM running as an AM.

Do I get an LM-3S for that loco and use the basic one for the turntable? Or just buy an extra basic LM?

Only you can answer that.

- Tim
« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 07:12:53 AM by G8B4Life »