Author Topic: Kato gp35? Headlight issues  (Read 6758 times)

RouteRock4300

• Fireman
Kato gp35? Headlight issues
« on: November 14, 2022, 10:29:09 PM »
Help please .. I have 4 older Kato gp35 . I’ve hard wired everything works great except led lights  . I have 32 engines rail pro mostly athearn protos ..I’m Using 1/4 resistors?? 0605 leds  , but I’m getting a warning symbol and message from short out put 1 . any advice . Thanks Tom

KPack

• Conductor
Re: Kato gp35? Headlight issues
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2022, 12:20:02 PM »
Tom - First off, welcome to the Group!  Glad to see more Railpro users come out of the woodwork.

If you hardwired everything then it's likely that the output 1 wire is the issue.  Perhaps the solder joint is not covered all the way and it's shorting against the frame?  Have you checked the path of the wire to see if anything is wrong like damaged insulation or stray wire strands?  If that's all good then I would suspect the LED as being the issue, or the connection to the LED.  Double check all those things and replace the LED to rule it out.  Besides that I guess it could be an internal problem on the LM-3S, but I've never heard of a shorted output on a module before.  But stranger things have happened.

-Kevin

faithie999

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2022, 04:21:17 PM »
is the problem with just one loco?

RouteRock4300

• Fireman
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2022, 05:20:44 PM »
I’ve had my rail pro I think 20 years now or close to it .this is the first time with katos, wiring . I did not know if the resistor would be the wrong size .I have 30 rail pro equipped athearn and about 6 u23 b protos , Building big block Chevy motors, diesel cat motors and detailing ho Diesel engines , I think is great . Now with Resistors and which ho engines draw how much power for the resistor ! I suck at that . I’ll go over it again . Thank you