Author Topic: Handheld saving issue  (Read 12229 times)

Coal Valley BNSF

• Fireman
Handheld saving issue
« on: December 02, 2022, 08:16:58 PM »
Has anyone had the issue of when you go to select any locomotive on the handheld you get a message that it wants you to save it, so you select save and then you can run it, but as soon as you go to another engine the other one will not be saved again. Any engine that I select will not be saved when I go back to it.  I have tried reseting the handheld by pushing the button on the back.  I have tried removing all products but anytime I find any loco it does the same thing again. I can't save any loco at this point on either of my handhelds. Has this happened to anyone else?

Josephbw

• Conductor
Re: Handheld saving issue
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2022, 08:15:22 AM »

That happens to me all the time. I just ignore the request and continue with what I'm doing. There doesn't seem to be any consequences for doing that.

Joe

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2022, 01:49:36 PM »
This is not normal, you might want to talk to ring about it.

A few questions:

1. are any settings actually lost?
2. did you delete your image files from your HC? (hint: don't remove the images from HC's and do copy your custom images to all of your HC's)
3. have you password protected your lm's? (if you have not, don't do it, there is no way to remove the password later)
4. are you out of free space on your HC? or LM's?
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Coal Valley BNSF

• Fireman
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2022, 08:51:48 AM »
Hi William! Thank you for the reply. Here are the answers to your questions.

1. No settings are lost
2. No, I have not deleted my image file
3. No, I do not have any that are password protected. (There is a way to remove the password though. I did it about a year ago to a couple that I had password protected in the beginning).
4. No, I am not out of free space on either the HC or LM's

Once again I just want to make sure I made it clear what my issue is. When I go to select the engine it is asking me to go to the round button and push save and it is fine, but than when I want to go to another engine it asks me to do the same thing and even if I go back to the first engine it will ask me to do the same thing again.  It just keeps going in a circle and will not ever save the engine.  It is not that I cannot run the trains. Since my post I have contacted Tim at RailPro. He was very helpful and nice. After troubleshooting a few different possible causes with me over the phone he has recommended that I send the handhelds back to him to take a look at. I love my Railpro and would highly recommend it to anyone. I'm sure this is just a gliche...

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2022, 12:50:53 PM »
There is a way to remove the password though. I did it about a year ago to a couple that I had password protected in the beginning
on the LM's perhaps, but passwords for the HC can only be changed, not removed.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Coal Valley BNSF

• Fireman
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2022, 08:28:27 PM »
Yes, you are correct. Thank you!

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2022, 12:32:43 AM »
If you have multiple HC's they only save settings locally.  That means that when you save the locomotive settings on one controller, it will not save on the other.  When you select the locomotive using the second controller it will detect that the settings within the LM have changed and will request you to save those new settings to the current HC.  With multiple controllers expect to go through this dance anytime you change settings on a locomotive....ANY setting.  Volume, start speed, etc.  The only thing that doesn't affect this is the Load setting.

If you are getting a constant save warning on the SAME controller over and over again, that is not normal.  To me that would indicate a software issue within the HC.  That is possible, but not one that I've seen or heard of before.  If this is the case I would check in with Tim Ring and see what he thinks.

-Kevin