Author Topic: Can't figure out how to hook up the lights  (Read 7059 times)

rsmproductions

• Fireman
Can't figure out how to hook up the lights
« on: June 22, 2023, 01:20:54 PM »
I've installed Railpro in a friends USA Trains Alco PA unit.  It runs and has sound.  I can't figure out how to get the lights to run.  I've tried hooking the wires from original PC board as in the picture below and directed the handheld unit to the correct colored wire (orange and blue) but nothing.  I'm not sure what I'm missing. The side number lights are hardwired into the original PC board.  The other picture of the red and white wire is the cab light.

IMG_5542.jpgIMG_5543.jpgIMG_5544.jpgIMG_5545.jpgIMG_5546.jpg]

I would appreciate any help.

Thank you,
Richard

gregeusa

• Engineer
    • Greg's web site
Re: Can't figure out how to hook up the lights
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2023, 05:22:50 PM »
The wiring of lights on USA Trains locos is often arcane.

You actually have to figure it out, and there are cab lights, number boards, markers, etc.

My suggestion is in my site:
https://elmassian.com/index.php/large-scale-train-main-page/motive-power-mods-aamp-tips/usat-motive-power/usat-dcc-installation-techniques

And while I don't have a detailed PA installation, I give the F3 as an example.

Be careful, some locos are 18v bulbs and some are 5v. (5v is easy to burn out)

Greg

Lots of tips and techniques on my site: www.elmassian.com contact me greg@elmassian.com

rsmproductions

• Fireman
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2023, 06:25:59 PM »
Thanks Greg!  I'll take a look.

rsmproductions

• Fireman
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2023, 06:40:21 PM »
Greg, your link to your site was really helpful...thanks a bunch.  I realized that I needed to hook the red wire to one of the +5V jacks on the Railpro.  The orange wire on RP harness connected to the black wire fired the headlights right up.  I think I'll need to modify the number lights on the side and create a little harness so both sides will light up at the same time.

I'm getting closer.