Author Topic: LM2S Module 6 Pin Harness Yellow and White Wire (was LM3S)  (Read 4196 times)

carpediem4570

• Fireman
  • Back into HO after a 50 year hiatus.
LM2S Module 6 Pin Harness Yellow and White Wire (was LM3S)
« on: January 07, 2023, 08:03:39 PM »
Seasons Greetings to All of You:

To make a short story long;

Once upon a time:

Lol

I have a President’s Choice, Mehano (IHC), Mikado 2-8-2 steam locomotive that’s been sitting on the bench, (dinning room table), waiting for me to do an engine swap and railpro conversion.

The engine was burnt out.  I ordered a 5 pole motor from China.  Of course it was slightly larger so, some judicious filing to the motor housing was required.

Had a bout of insomnia the other night and, after a few hours of filing and fitting, the new motor is in AND, it works. Hurray.

Now I will start the process of wiring my first locomotive for railpro. 

The module and speaker will be in the tender.  The 9 wire harness will be reduced to 6 wires and routed through the tender into the engine to connect the wheels, motor and one led head light.

Since I have only the one headlight, by way of the instruction sheet provided, I assume I can use either the white or yellow wire and the blue wire to provide power to the light when the engine is in a forward motion?

When I put the engine in reverse, will the front headlight go out?  If it goes out, what wire do I connect it to to stay on in forward or reverse?

Referring to the 6 pin wire harness included with the module and used for connecting the lights and speaker in the tender, if I connect the tender light to the green or violet wire, will the light come on only when the unit is in reverse?  What wire would I connect the tender light to if I want it on in both forward and reverse? 

For the tender light, I’m thinking of putting in an led bulb that has both red and white in one bulb.  When going forward, the red light is on; in reverse, the white light would be on.

And finally, on the instruction sheet, the 6 pin harness has a white and yellow wire marked input.  What do these two wires do and do I connect them to anything?

And everyone lived happily ever after.  So ends the long story. Lol.

Merry Christmas,

Max

« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 06:31:49 AM by William Brillinger »

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Re: LM3S Module 6 Pin Harness Yellow and White Wire
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2023, 01:08:32 AM »
Since I have only the one headlight, by way of the instruction sheet provided, I assume I can use either the white or yellow wire and the blue wire to provide power to the light when the engine is in a forward motion?

You can use any of the outputs you want, however only the white and yellow wires on the 9 pin automatically swap when the direction reverses. This is why they are normally used for the front and rear headlights, as shown in the instructions.

When I put the engine in reverse, will the front headlight go out?  If it goes out, what wire do I connect it to to stay on in forward or reverse?

If you connect the headlight to either the white or yellow wire on the 9 pin harness and "Auto change lights on direction" or whatever it's called is enabled then yes the headlight will go out. Simply disable this feature and it won't happen.

Referring to the 6 pin wire harness included with the module and used for connecting the lights and speaker in the tender, if I connect the tender light to the green or violet wire, will the light come on only when the unit is in reverse?  What wire would I connect the tender light to if I want it on in both forward and reverse?

If you connect the tender light to the green or violet wires on the 6 pin harness you have to turn the light on and off explicitly and direction has nothing to do with it. This goes for all outputs except for the white and yellow on the 9 pin which can be made direction dependent.

For the tender light, I’m thinking of putting in an led bulb that has both red and white in one bulb.  When going forward, the red light is on; in reverse, the white light would be on.

To to that you will either need to use two buttons (3 leg LED) or devise some circuitry that I've seen in models that changes the polarity to the LED's when the direction changes.

And finally, on the instruction sheet, the 6 pin harness has a white and yellow wire marked input.  What do these two wires do and do I connect them to anything?

If there is 2 wires marked as input then you have an LM-2 or LM-2S. You can not hook the input wires up to anything, they don't do anything when the LM is functioning as an LM and not an AM.

- Tim

carpediem4570

• Fireman
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2023, 05:07:12 AM »
Thank you Tim for the information.  That is exactly the kind information I needed.

Merry Christmas,

Max

carpediem4570

• Fireman
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2023, 05:08:33 AM »
And yes, the module is an LM2S.  The subject was a typo.

Happy new year,

Max