Author Topic: Accessory program info/help  (Read 6827 times)

faithie999

• Conductor
Accessory program info/help
« on: January 23, 2023, 04:40:24 PM »
Is there documentation anywhere on the various AM-1 accessory programs that are on Ring's website for download?  specifically I want to use the Turntable project.

I loaded the project into my AM-1S and I see the 4 buttons, for direction and speed.

I need to know which of the outputs to connect the turntable motor to.

also, I see an accessory program called "Turntable Relay".  I have no idea what that does, but when I loaded both the turntable project and the relay project into the AM-1 I got a short circuit error (I have nothing connected to any of the AM-1 outputs yet) so I deleted the AM-1 from my HC-2b and tomorrow I will re-add it and load only the turntable project.

thanks

Ken

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Re: Accessory program info/help
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2023, 09:16:36 PM »
No, there is no documentation on the various accessory programs on Rings site in the sense of what each of them does and how to use them. There is documentation on what Accessory programs are, what they can do, how to use them and how to write them in the RailPro Assistant manual starting on page 39. That's obviously not the best situation though.

So, by looking at the program for the turntable project (you can find out how to do that in the RPA manual) we can see that the output being used by the program is Motor1. Looking at the manual for the AM-1S tells us that Motor1 is outputs 1 and 2 on the AM-1.

Looking at the Turntable relay project it's just for triggering a couple of relays to drive the turntable motor instead of driving it directly with the AM outputs; one could use a higher powered motor than what the AM could handle by itself that way.

As for the short you got, can't explain that one but I doubt you should be able to have more than one accessory project loaded into the AM at the same time (how would it know which project to use otherwise) so if you have managed that then that's probably the problem. Don't know if you can delete projects from the AM using the Delete files button.

- Tim

faithie999

• Conductor
Re: Accessory program info/help
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 06:58:00 AM »
Tim--thanks for the reply.  it makes sense that only one program can be loaded at a time. 

for starters, I may just use a buck converter with potentiometer and a DPDT switch (for direction of rotation), mounted right next to the turntable to operate it, since I'll need to be eyeballing the TT closely to get it aligned.  the TT I have has a small motor included.