Author Topic: Low voltage warning  (Read 7928 times)

KPack

• Conductor
Re: Low voltage warning
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2015, 11:50:26 AM »
Rick,  I've also seen some issues with the truck pick-up wires themselves on a few Athearn RTR (DCC-ready) locos.  Though the wire may appear fine on the outside the thin strands on the inside are brittle and may be broken without you knowing.  I've seen it before, not a common thing though.  Not sure if that's the problem or not.

Sounds like you've done your due diligence though and have hit all possible problem areas.  Chances are a simple software tweak in the next update will take care of it.

-Kevin

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2015, 11:50:58 AM »
out of curiosity, what are the model numbers of the locos?
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Prostreetamx

• Fireman
  • Modern BNSF
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2015, 12:36:26 PM »
It wouldn't hurt to replace or even double up on the truck feeders. Small wires can break and you will never see it.
Modeling modern BNSF on 20x20 freelanced double deck layout under construction.

roofintrash

• Fireman
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2015, 09:02:45 AM »
Here is part of the reply from ring.

"We think it is most likely that you are getting low voltage detected by the module.  The reason why you may not see it on the loco info page meter or on a DC volt meter is both of these displays are heavily filtered (take some thing like 1 second to respond to voltage changes) but the low voltage detection in the RailPro module is very fast (can detect something like a voltage drop for 0.05 seconds).  So the module can detect a brief interruption in the electrical connection that a DC meter or the HC info screen would not show."

In my opinion, if the sensitivity is that high ,I'm just chasing ghosts. I am going to try to improve the pickups the best I can and go from there. If I figure something out I'll chime in and share my findings.

out of curiosity, what are the model numbers of the locos?

Model #s  are 94754  94752  98061 and an SW 1500 I can't find the box for.
All 4 act exactly the same. Never in the same places either. Just out of the blue. I'm not gonna rip my last 8 hairs out over it after I fiddle a little more.
Thanks for the input and suggestions.
Rick

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2015, 09:38:20 AM »
I have had similar warnings with no stalling or any other visible indication of a problem. I have come to ignore them most of the time. LM modules, in my experience, are much more sensitive to dirty wheels and track than DCC, and will report a slight momentary interruption immediately.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.