Author Topic: Issues with one engine  (Read 7657 times)

Josephbw

• Conductor
Issues with one engine
« on: March 15, 2023, 04:58:21 PM »
I have a GP 30 with an LM2S decoder in it. It started acting up lately. It would go about 6" then stop, then take off again and stop. I thought I had issues with the motor, so I bought another one, and it still does the same thing.

Has anyone had issues like this? The only thing that makes sense is that the LM is having a hiccup repeatedly.
thanks, Joe

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
Re: Issues with one engine
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2023, 05:31:18 PM »
I have had that happen several times. It is usually a problem with the truck pickups, and mostly due to the connection where the wire attaches to the truck. I remove the clip-on connectors and solder the connection.

You can check if this the cause by applying power to the locomotive and lifting one truck off the track. If the motor keeps running, do the same with the other truck. If the motor stops, the problem is with the opposite truck. If the motor doesn't stop then there is another problem, most likely an intermittent wire connection in the body. I haven't heard of an LM acting that way.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

Josephbw

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2023, 07:43:03 AM »
Thanks, Al, I'll try that as soon as I get my arm out of my sling.

Joe

Dodgezilla04

• Fireman
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2023, 07:59:36 PM »
I'll help you carry your plywood and drywall, if you come help me carry the 2 man rock I'm putting on my layout...... There's only 8,000 pounds left.....

RouteRock4300

• Fireman
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2023, 09:44:29 PM »
Have you checked the wheels on this engine .if there dirty clean them. If it goes so far and stops then I’d say dirt . Is this engine proto / Scaletrains and is it  hardwired. Or Plug n play . I always forget about this website  , but I have over 80 rail pro units and been a user since 2003 ? that is always the issue . Dirty wheels . Goodluck . Tom

Josephbw

• Conductor
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2023, 10:24:19 AM »
I was finally cleared by my caregiver (wifey) to go to the basement after my arm was out of the sling. So I fired up the engine and started to do some more testing. The wheels were all clean, there were no loose wires or shorted wires or anything else that could cause a short.

I put it on the track and it ran great with no issues at all. I guess the model fairy snuck in during my absence and fixed it for me.  :o

Thanks for all the suggestions,
Joe