Author Topic: One of the the hazzards of Model Railroading  (Read 9798 times)

Josephbw

• Conductor
One of the the hazzards of Model Railroading
« on: March 16, 2023, 10:03:13 AM »
I'm getting ready to start building on the other side of my basement. I recently got a coupon from Lowes for 10% off any purchase. So my wife and I went to Lowes yesterday and loaded up.
I bought 5 sheets of plywood, 14 2x4's, and 3 bundles of 1x3's.

I had help from one of the employees to handle the load. I moved every piece of wood 3 different times by the time I had the truck loaded up. And I also had a box of floor tiles that weighed about 150 pounds more/less.

Last night I alternated between ice and a heating pad on my sore elbow. Today I have it in a sling.
Man, it sucks getting old.

Joe

Espeelark

• Fireman
Re: One of the the hazzards of Model Railroading
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2023, 10:05:22 AM »
Yes it does, but as they say, the alternative is worse.
I certainly don't enjoy lifting heavy things anymore and the joints don't like it either. We all get stenosis (in our back) as we age and carrying heavy s--t doesn't help.
Just keep moving and stay active.
Good luck with the build!
Espeelark (Paul Mac)
Modeling the SP in Ohio
"Bad is never good until worse happens...."

KB02

• Engineer
Re: One of the hazards of Model Railroading
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2023, 06:19:52 AM »
Getting ready for a similar trip myself. Except I'm planning on adding in sheets of drywall, too. Gonna be fun!

trainman605

• Engineer
Re: One of the the hazzards of Model Railroading
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2023, 08:42:30 AM »
For myself at 78 years old and I still get around pretty good for an old man, I now give a lot more thought on my future projects. I started a 3x22' switching layout last year and I feel it will be my last layout at home, I do have access to my club layouts, so I'm not hurting for places to run my trains. I have a large home on 2 acres and it's about all I can do to stay ahead of the game, yes I can pay to have work done, but I have always been a hands on person and I enjoy doing things. So for me a many of days I need the heating pad, bath in the Jacuzzi, and the Ibuprofen. I wouldn't say it's not only model railroading, but just life in general at my age. Just do what you can each day on your railroad, so you can have some left to start again tomorrow.
trainman