Author Topic: converted aristo rs3 and usat g7-9  (Read 12341 times)

Hammer

• Fireman
converted aristo rs3 and usat g7-9
« on: April 09, 2023, 08:45:46 PM »
my buddy, his teenage son, and myself gutted my 20yr old rs3 and gp7/9 in 10 hours and replaced them with rail pro with the cooler fan holders.  robbie gave me the entire order, simple.  I didn't do ditch lights though.  i'm just doing a railroad in a garden so i don't need ultra realism and we had 1 day to do both locos.  we wired the cab and number led's together and used the 5v side of the board such that whenever the toggle switch is in the on position the cab and number board lights are on.  i didn't do a superior job with the number board lights so some bleed off gives a dim look on the front and read headlights but whatever.  i do have the front and rear headlights on the white/yellow setup but i run them manually.  it's nice to turn on the rear light in the dark if you have a couple issue or just putting stuff on the tracks.

the best part is i figured out to max out the start and stop time, and these things act like real locomotives.  the only thing i can't figure out is why the brake doesn't cause quicker deceleration than just dropping the throttle to zero, would be nice if hitting the brake button over-wrote the ramping.

anyways, robbie from rld gets kudos and obviously my buddy with the soldiering gun and dremel.

the rs3 required cutting out the smoke unit, rear fan in the hood, and all the plastic where the original switch panel went to fit the 18v battery and the receiver cooler combo plus all the wiring that i refused to cut short so i could pull the hood off.  there's not a lot of room in there compared to the GP7