Author Topic: PROTO 2000 QSI ANALOG AND DCC  (Read 4324 times)

Tom

• Engineer
PROTO 2000 QSI ANALOG AND DCC
« on: April 23, 2023, 12:03:34 PM »
I have posted about this before with pictures and diagrams.  I have a “PROTO 2000 HERITAGE STEAM LOCOMOTIVE” with “QSI QUANTUM SYSTEMTM Analog &DCC Sound Decoder.”  I added an LM-2S at the front end so to say and control power to the decoder with the LM-2S.  It works well as far as engine sounds and lights go, but I cannot control the whistle, bell and other sounds I might like and have not considered doing so until now.

My question of anyone who might know is: can I splice the ring sound wires into the wires going to the installed speaker, or should I add another speaker for the LM-2S to connect to?

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Re: PROTO 2000 QSI ANALOG AND DCC
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2023, 06:37:24 AM »
I don't have a definitive answer for you because I don't know but I would be wary of splicing the LM speaker wires into the speaker wires from the QSI board. It might be possible to damage the audio drivers in the LM or the QSI board by back feeding them from the other device, and I rekon it  would definitely be possible to damage the speakers by driving them with both the LM and QSI audio drivers at the same time, eg, pumping 4 watts (2 x 2 watts) into a 2 watt rated speaker.

In the absence of anything that says it's ok to do it would certainly be safer to just install another speaker for the LM.

- Tim