Author Topic: Facebook Group Vs. This Forum  (Read 22314 times)

JRad

• Conductor
Facebook Group Vs. This Forum
« on: May 21, 2023, 11:24:52 AM »
I notice that activity here is way down while there is nearly daily activity on the Facebook group.

While Facebook offers quick responses, I note that the answers given are in many cases wrong.  Facebook folks just love to jump in whether they have anything useful to add or not. Often, a correct answer gets buried in misinformation posted by those that think they have a clue!

Also, searching through previous posts on Facebook does not work well. This is due to their logarithms changing the presentation order to suit the advertisers based on what they know about you.  Here, it's pretty easy to scroll through older posts and search for keywords making the chance of finding an answer fast pretty good.

Perhaps, if those of us on Facebook encourage those seeking answers to come here instead of answering the same questions over and over again, we might see better activity here.

Just my $0.02. Thanks for listening!

gregeusa

• Engineer
    • Greg's web site
Re: Facebook Group Vs. This Forum
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2023, 04:10:25 PM »
Exactly! The concept of a thread/topic helps the person who asked for help to follow answers on topic.
Lots of tips and techniques on my site: www.elmassian.com contact me greg@elmassian.com

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2023, 08:34:12 AM »
Not saying this wholly applies to the RP farcebook page, because I've never been there and never will to see but society has very much become a "don't bother searching, just ask the same thing that someone probably asked before, and someone asked before that, and someone before that ad infinitium", and social media platforms by design very much excel in reinforcing this type of behavior.

Possibly another factor is the high use of mobile devices instead of desktops for access. I don't know how this version of the forum software goes with being mobile friendly but I suspect it isn't fantastic because of it's age. I know the new version is supposed to be very mobile friendly but that requires a "bit of an upgrade" on Bill's part to run it.

One of the bonuses of using the forum though is the extra stuff you can get here; tutorials/guides, personalised help, tools and software if any happen to be written; the list could really go on.

Anyway, if you think the activity here being way down is sad JRad, A few weeks ago I got to look at the extended information memberlist and the amount of former posting members who haven't logged in here for a year or more is truly sad.

- Tim

CPRail

• Conductor
  • You know, sometimes I amaze even myself.
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2023, 10:21:06 AM »
Huh. I didn't even know there was a FacelessBook RP group...

I much prefer this format as mentioned by others, you can follow threads, search them, etc.
Ian Lisakowski
Modelling CP Rail & VIA in the early 80's

atsfguy

• Conductor
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2023, 10:34:29 AM »
I do not utilize the site in question due to the problem mentioned. It is also a great place to have your identity stolen by the scuzballs who prowl its pages, so I leave it for the young who haven’t learned.
Tim, you are correct if you place me in the group who haven’t logged id recently but at my age (82) and having suffered a traumatic brain injury 1-1/2 years ago, I am no longer capable of building/operating a model railroad. I do enjoy the forum and intend to remain part of it until I can no longer function.
Cecil
ATSF

JRad

• Conductor
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2023, 01:26:19 PM »
Thanks for the replies!  At least we know a few people still check in regularly :)

I won't attempt to defend Facebook. If you don't like it, or don't trust it, that's fine by me. It isn't as dangerous as some think, but you need to know how to lock things down and what posts not to reply too!  I've been there since the early 2000's with no issues.

What I can definitely say positive about FB is how well the for sale groups work. I just sold a set of LGB scale (1:22sh) passenger cars that I kit bashed for $75 each more than stock units sell for and they sold in less than two days:)

ON28

• Conductor
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2023, 05:38:24 PM »
I much prefer this site to FB as it and its members have been quite helpful as I started (and continue) with RP. Thanks to Bill for facilitating!

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2023, 01:55:26 PM »
While I tread lightly on FB it has some useful things. I've had to curtail all of my On30 plans so unless there is a way to use RP on my Lionel layout, out goes On30 and I have been selling that stuff on eBay. I sure hate selling the RP items but then it has to go. My age makes these decisions, 86, not so good eye sight, fingers stiffen and walking, well it's shot too.  Am I bitter ? I accept that as it is part of life.   ####### Darryl in Yuma Arid-Zona

GMM6809

• Engineer
  • Glenn M.
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2023, 03:50:36 AM »
I might be part of the “not logged in” in a year or so group. I’ve been overwhelmed with my military career, family life events, and local railroad club happenings.

However, I am accessing this forum via my cell phone’s web browser. It works fine currently. Sometimes I can’t attach pictures or files from the mobile device but I just hop on my laptop and do it from there.. I am in the RP Facebook group, and since I model HO I haven’t posted on the group because it seems to mostly be G scale and/or O scale, which is awesome, but not for me…

I love this forum and will be more active as I start to get back into installing LM’s in my new engines.

Long live the forums! lol
Glenn M.

Staff Sergeant in the Marine Corps.

Hammer

• Fireman
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2023, 08:10:37 PM »
hey good to know, i just applied to the fb group, thanks for the tip!