Author Topic: Low Memory on HC-2  (Read 9753 times)

OccamsRazor

• Fireman
Low Memory on HC-2
« on: May 27, 2023, 03:58:30 PM »
Hello All,

I am aware of how to add and remove programs from the HC-2 but with only 7 locomotives I am getting a "Not Enough Memory" message when I try to add files for my latest loco... :'(

When I try to remove files from the HC-2 I get "File in Use!" error so am I doing something incorrectly?

What files can we safely remove from the HC-2 to create more space after loading the files onto the loco modules?

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Re: Low Memory on HC-2
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2023, 08:29:27 PM »
You can safely remove anything that the HC will let you delete with one proviso; you can not delete a picture if that picture is used to represent an LM (or AM or PWR etc) on the HC at that moment in time. That's the only time you should get the file in use error message.

So, say for instance you had the EMD645 ULT sound on the HC you should be able to delete that no problem as the HC doesn't use it for anything but if you had a picture of locomotive 1234 on the HC and that picture was representing an LM on the select locomotive screen then you wouldn't be able to delete it (file in use).

Be aware also if you loaded up the HC with product programs and accessory projects there is no way to delete them.

- Tim

OccamsRazor

• Fireman
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2023, 11:49:21 PM »
Thank you!  8)

With that clarification I went ahead and deleted all the extraneous sound files, (the prime mover files are HUGE! :o), and that brought everything back under control.  ;D

Tom

• Engineer
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2023, 07:56:00 PM »
Be aware also if you loaded up the HC with product programs and accessory projects there is no way to delete them.

I am curious about that one.  What all might be included in "programs and accessory projects?"  Are these not features of RP which would require some flexibility in managing their usage?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 06:02:08 AM by William Brillinger »

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2023, 07:36:23 AM »
...Are these not features of RP which would require some flexibility in managing their usage?

You'd think so wouldn't you but when it was bought up years ago with Ring it was basically dismissed as a non concern.

It is an issue though, if one only has the physical handheld and not the simulator (like many of us back when there was no simulator) then you have to download non removable accessory projects into the handheld just to be able to even look at them. Ditto with product programs, if you downloaded all the product programs using the handheld your stuck with them being the the handhelds memory forever, unless Ring does one day provide a way to manage them.

- Tim

JRad

• Conductor
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2023, 09:39:50 AM »
Product programs are software updates for LMs. HCs and other RP devices/

Accessory Projects are programs that you write (or download from Ring) to operate AM's and LM's with the accessory product program loaded.

As stated, neither can be deleted by the user.

faithie999

• Conductor
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2023, 04:01:48 PM »
interesting.

is there a "nuclear option" to do a total reset of the HC-2?

Ken

gregeusa

• Engineer
    • Greg's web site
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2023, 12:45:44 PM »
Sounds like a hammer is the only way to remove them  :P
Lots of tips and techniques on my site: www.elmassian.com contact me greg@elmassian.com

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2023, 01:42:17 PM »
is there a "nuclear option" to do a total reset of the HC-2?

No, there is no way to remove them, but they don't take up all that much space.
If it were ever a problem, I'm sure Ring would add a way to remove them.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

faithie999

• Conductor
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2023, 04:10:12 PM »
thanks

Ken

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2023, 04:16:06 PM »
I should say - you can get ring to remove them by sending the unit in for a full reset.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.