Author Topic: Combining Power Supplies?  (Read 13290 times)

CPRail

• Conductor
  • You know, sometimes I amaze even myself.
Combining Power Supplies?
« on: August 25, 2023, 10:36:41 AM »
Morning Group,

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I'll ask the experts just in case.

Right now, my layout is powered with the PWR-56. IF I have ALL my locos and passenger cars on live tracks during initial power up, the system will never get to a ready status due to all the Keep-Alives and light capacitors trying to "fill up". I also have a few items that have DCC + Sound - example: a Rapido TurboTrain, where there is no appropriate sound available for RailPro.

Can I use for my main power a DCC system (in this case an NCE system, which I know RailPro will work on using it as a power source) and then use the PWR-56 as a back-up/repeater, say under the Diesel Shop area to help during the initial power up? That way, I can easily run the DCC + Sound items that I can't covert sound-wise (like the TurboTrain) while running everything else on RailPro.

Is there a better way? That TurboTrain has a distinctive sound (as does the recently released Rohr Turboliners) and I would hate to lose those sounds.

Ian Lisakowski
Modelling CP Rail & VIA in the early 80's

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: Combining Power Supplies?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2023, 03:31:38 PM »
Sorry Ian,

You cannot combine the PWR-56 with any other power source than a PWR-56, doing so would risk damaging either power source whenever a metal wheel set bridged the gap between power districts.

- Bill
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

CPRail

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2023, 04:18:58 PM »
Thanks Bill. That's what I thought, but figured I should check, just in case.

Memories of Bob's layout brought the question to mind...
Ian Lisakowski

Brian W.

• Fireman
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2023, 10:52:33 PM »
Ian, I was told by the RailPro technician that you can use the pwr-56 as a repeater while DCC source powers the track as long as you didn't connect the pwr-56  to the track. Only power it up remotely without any track connections. I haven't needed to try it yet but am getting close with the backyard loop dropping the signal in a few spots.
Brian

CPRail

• Conductor
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2023, 08:34:03 AM »
Hmm, that's a possibility, but I'm not experiencing any signal loss, just need MORE POWER at initial start up.

The joys of Keep-Alives and many Rapido passenger cars!
Ian Lisakowski

Brian W.

• Fireman
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2023, 10:00:55 PM »
Sorry, my mind must have gotten side tracked by late night reading. I agree with more power!
Brian