Author Topic: HC-2 locks up if accessing loco setup, or HC-2 setup  (Read 13405 times)

hotrodf1

• Fireman
HC-2 locks up if accessing loco setup, or HC-2 setup
« on: September 09, 2023, 08:27:42 AM »
Hey all,
I recently got my starter kit, and also 3 used loco LM3-S modules from ebay.  After clearing the passwords I was able to see them with the HC2 and the computer CI1.  The version on the LM3-S was old so updated that using the CI1.  Then added the EMD 710 ACE ULT sound file to a loco with the HC2 (I had already loaded the file there previously).  I'm a little fuzzy what else I did, but now I have some sort of problem.

When I try to access the loco setup menu, I got a little dancing blue dot on the screen and none of the buttons work.  It's like it's locked up, but the throttle still works to control the loco.

Also, similarly, if I try to access the "adjust settings" button on the HC2 I get basically the same thing.   The dancing blue dot (like the normal wait display, but it doesn't actually say "wait" ). 

It seems to be hung in this position for a long while until the auto power off kicks in and shuts it down.  Then when I turn it on, it seems to function OK, unless I attempt to enter either setup spot, and then it does the same thing.  The HC-2b has the latest 2.29 version, and it was brand new a few days ago. 

The Ci-1 on the computer does not act this way at all.  Seems to be HC2 related. 

One thing it seems like I deleted an old prime mover sound file from the l3ms, but it was being used for the button.  Just went in and changed that button to call the new file (via the CI1) and saved the change.  Was hoping that would fix it, since they didn't line up, but no.  The HC-2 still "locks up" when I try to enter the loco setup area.  The HC-2 did give the "buttons changed, need to save" message though.

No idea what I did, or how to undo it. . . .  thoughts?
Jeremy Moen
HO scale

hotrodf1

• Fireman
Re: HC-2 locks up if accessing loco setup, or HC-2 setup
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2023, 08:32:40 AM »
UPDATE:
oddly enough if I select the loco on the CI1 it takes control.  The HC-2 then reports "control taken away" and boots the HC-2 out of that locked screen. 

Then if I go back the HC2 and select the loco, it gives the message that the buttons have been changed and I need to save again.  I can go to the info screen and no issues reported there.  I have control of the loco via the HC2.  But if I go to setup button I get the locked wait screen again.
Jeremy Moen
HO scale

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2023, 09:55:15 AM »
It sounds like the software on the HC may be corrupt.
I would try applying the latest update to the HC again and if the problem persists after that, I would contact Ring Engineering.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

JRad

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2023, 01:16:14 PM »
I agree with Bill, but one thing you can try before Monday when you can reach Ring is to delete the loco from the HC, then find it again. If that and/or the update re-load doesn't fix it, then it's back to being a problem with the HC.

You said the HC is new and has the latest revision. Before you re-load software on the HC, make sure that the update is at least the same revision as is loaded in the HC. Ring will sometimes start shipping units with newer software then what is available for download. Tim Ring cautioned me against "downgrading" software on HCs or modules.

hotrodf1

• Fireman
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2023, 02:52:03 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.
I thought I would try to remove the loco and reload.  So went to tools , remove product, locos, then clicked on the only one there, and oddly enough the "remove product" screen comes up, but before you can press a button, the dang blue dancing dot is there, and none of the buttons work . . . again.    Not cancel, not remove, and not the main page hardkey either.  Stuck again until auto power down. 

Next, I'll try the HC update as suggested, but I'm betting it's not going to let me get that far.  We'll see after a while.

What does the reset hardkey do?  Manual just says contact Ring before you push it.  I don't have much on the HC at this point, so if it blows everything away I'm ok with that. 
Jeremy Moen
HO scale

hotrodf1

• Fireman
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2023, 03:11:54 PM »
Just noticed that my PWR-56 is rev 1.11, and the website only has 1.10.  Not sure why that would matter . . . .
Jeremy Moen
HO scale

hotrodf1

• Fireman
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2023, 03:20:41 PM »
Alright I guess time to call Ring on Monday.

I tried to get to the software update screen, and that one does the same thing too.  When the screen comes up, so does the wait blue dot, and can't press any buttons.  So, cannot attempt to reload any software whatsoever.
Jeremy Moen
HO scale

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2023, 04:25:08 PM »
Let us know what you find out!
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

hotrodf1

• Fireman
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2023, 06:23:14 PM »
Well I talked to RE today, and he suggested I try the reset button.  Said they hadn't seen this issue since code from several years back.

But when I got home from work today, my son reported that it's now working fine.  I tried it myself, and all's well.  Not sure what threw the HC into its fits, but its gone now.  Happy face!  :D

Always feel a bit odd when a problem magically disappears, but I"ll take it!
Jeremy Moen
HO scale