Author Topic: Help with Upgrade and Programming  (Read 20217 times)

Davidbross

• Engineer
Help with Upgrade and Programming
« on: October 04, 2023, 04:32:22 PM »
This started out with me trying to program my LM 4S G.  Specifically, I am looking for the menu that will allow me to adjust Chuff rate and the menu that will allow me to (in the alternative to switch on the purple input wire).  I have been through this thing multiple times.  It's not there.  I am looking at each page after pushing activating the settings icon for the loco that takes you to the various pages to set motor speed, direction, sound and light buttons. 

I though perhaps the LM 4S G was outdated.  So I went to my HC and realized I would need to update it.  It is version 2.21.  So I used the RP Assistant, clicked on add the HC-29 Rev 2.29 and then clicked download to handhold controller.  The controller was hooked up via usb and it verified it was connected.  The HC keeps saying timed out waiting for file size.

So folks I am asking for help updating the HC and more importantly help with finding these menus on the LM 4S G

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Re: Help with Upgrade and Programming
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2023, 06:32:06 AM »
I'm not a user of the G LM's so I can't help much there except to say that you might need to update it, as you mentioned.

With updating the HC, Rings server did seem slower to me the other week when I downloaded a sound file so I'd definitely try updating a few times before we point to a specific file problem with the HC update files. Could/can you download anything else, such as a simple picture?

- Tim

Davidbross

• Engineer
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2023, 06:34:43 AM »
Yes.  I downloaded other files including a larger ult sound file.

Davidbross

• Engineer
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2023, 09:21:36 AM »
Anyone else have ideas?

faithie999

• Conductor
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2023, 04:29:18 PM »
I would give Ring a phone call.  they are normally very helpful.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2023, 04:48:43 PM »
Make sure you are using the most recent version of the Railpro Assistant.
Try again with the HC update.
If it fails give ring a call on Monday. (don't bother with email, calling will get you help faster.)
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2023, 07:24:59 PM »
I didn't forget or just stop; I couldn't get the HC to charge yesterday (or right now for that matter) to see what's happening. Apparently on a nice sunny Spring day it's too cold in here.

- Tim

Davidbross

• Engineer
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2023, 09:47:29 PM »
Bill - follow ups how do I know if I have the most recent assistant?  Can it be updated or would I have to uninstall and reinstall?

On the HC - do I have to do all of the updates sequentially or can I just do the last update. 

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2023, 07:07:11 AM »
The current version of RPA is 4.01, it says in the top right corner.
The RPA webpage says the version right under the download button. ( https://ringengineering.com/RailProAssistantSoftware.htm )

To install, an updated version, just download and run the installer, it will upgrade your version.

Under Product Programs in the RPA, there is only one version, 2.29 for the HC-2B.
If you have an older HC-2 then you want the 2.09, HC-2 has grey labels, not blue one on the front.

cheers.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Davidbross

• Engineer
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2023, 07:56:00 AM »
2.29 is installing on HCB.  Progress!

Davidbross

• Engineer
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2023, 08:31:11 AM »
I cannot tell if this means I’m running 1.05 or 1.00 on my lm4sg.

The screen has both numbers.

If I need to update, what is the process? 

faithie999

• Conductor
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2023, 05:01:43 PM »
I didn't forget or just stop; I couldn't get the HC to charge yesterday (or right now for that matter) to see what's happening. Apparently on a nice sunny Spring day it's too cold in here.

- Tim
Tim--you're more experienced with RailPro than I am, but when this has happened to me in the past, I have opened the HC, removed the (rechargeable) batteries, and charged them in a nicad/nihm wall charger.  then I reinstalled them and the HC came back to life.  I'm wondering if there is something in the HC software that prevents charging when the batteries are profoundly dead.

Ken

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2023, 07:11:46 AM »
I cannot tell if this means I’m running 1.05 or 1.00 on my lm4sg.
<snip>

Your picture shows that the software version (SW1061) is revision 1.05, which is the latest. The software is what can be user upgraded so this is the revision number to watch. The other revision number (1.00) following the IVT1760 is the hardware revision. You can't update the hardware so don't pay much attention to the hardware revision.

Forgot to add as you don't need to update this time but for future reference, I did do an illustrated guide many moons ago on Downloading, Copying and Updating which is in the User Guides section (https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,466.0.html) but it is a little out of date; not in the process but some of the button text has changed since it was written. The RailPro Assistant and HC manuals also cover updating.

Tim--you're more experienced with RailPro than I am, but when this has happened to me in the past, I have opened the HC, removed the (rechargeable) batteries, and charged them in a nicad/nihm wall charger.  then I reinstalled them and the HC came back to life.  I'm wondering if there is something in the HC software that prevents charging when the batteries are profoundly dead.

Ken, I don't think there's anything that prevents the HC from charging when the batteries are profoundly dead but there is code that prevents charging when the temperature is under or over a certain temperature. The batteries in the HC-2b are still ok and I got it to charge later that day once the place had warmed up a bit.  Now the batteries in my original HC-2 are a different matter, profoundly dead might be an understatement. Coming up to 10 years old and after several hours on charge the screen still wouldn't come up.

- Tim
« Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 07:27:16 AM by G8B4Life »