Author Topic: Both of my HC's are dead.  (Read 16827 times)

Josephbw

• Conductor
Both of my HC's are dead.
« on: November 16, 2023, 06:22:19 PM »
When I try to charge them it comes up with (Charging) (closely followed by Faulted No Power). I am assuming they both need new batteries. Or is there another issue I'm missing?
Thank you,
Joe

UPDATE: I went to Lowes and bought some batteries. I opened up the case, removed the old batteries, replaced them with the new ones, and buttoned them back up. I was amazed at how easy it was. Both of them now work perfectly. I want to thank whoever it was that said to put tape on the black button before assembly. This was my first disassembly of an HC, and it couldn't have gone any easier.
You just need to be careful with the video screen as it wants to wander around during disassembly and use tape to hold the position of the black button.

Joe
« Last Edit: November 18, 2023, 07:52:22 AM by Josephbw »

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: Both of my HC's are dead.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2023, 07:56:56 PM »
How old are the batteries?
If they are more than 5 years old, you probably need to replace them.

Some battery info: https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,1445.msg10531.html
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

faithie999

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2023, 05:09:01 PM »
Joseph--the only thing tricky about replacing the batteries is keeping the 4 steel spacer studs in position when you put the top cover back on (you can see the 4 studs clearly in the picture Bill posted on the thread he referenced).

Ken

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2023, 07:28:34 PM »
Very doubtful it's the batteries, and very very doubtful your HC's are dead, since they give you an error message!

From memory you have the original HC-2 (non 2b version), or even a HC-1 and that the problem is your charger is not working. The error message "Faulted No Power" is the message that you get when you plug the DC barrel jack into the old style HC-2 / HC-1 and there is no power. The old style HC's mechanically detected when you had plugged the charger in, unlike the new USB style HC's.

Verify your chargers, or even where you have the chargers plugged in to and see what you find.

- Tim

Josephbw

• Conductor
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2023, 08:07:16 AM »
Tim, I do have the old HC's. I checked the chargers (I have 2 of them), and they both had the proper voltage.

faithie999, My HC's didn't have the steel studs, just plastic posts.
Joe

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2023, 09:38:24 AM »
Ok, that's weird Joe, the batteries shouldn't have anything to do with the "Faulted No Power" message. The batteries in my original HC-2 are nearly 9 years old at least and don't hold their charge that well but I've never seen that message unless I plugged the charger into the HC without it being plugged into a powerpoint .

That said, your edited post said your chargers are working so that parts good but you didn't say if the HC's now charge with the new batteries in them or not.  If you haven't tried that I'd do so. Let us know.

- Tim

Josephbw

• Conductor
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2023, 09:47:16 AM »
Hi Tim, I only used the HCs for a little while to confirm they were working. Will trying to charge them when they are showing a full charge do anything? Also, I may have been a little dramatic when I said they were dead. I should have said they had no power.

Hi Tim, I just checked both HCs with both power supplies and they both said exactly what you said they would. You are a genius, thank you for all the times you've helped me.

Joe
« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 01:39:59 PM by Josephbw »

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2023, 08:04:55 AM »
Hey Joe,

Charging them while they are showing fully charged should be fine. Because the old HC's mechanically detected the charger plug being inserted into the HC as the signal that it's charging the charging page should show when you plug the charger into the HC. After that you should either get "Faulted No Power" if there is still a problem or you'll eventually get the "Charging Done" screen if it's all hunky dory.

- Tim