Author Topic: Touch screen won’t work and battery lasts 2 mins  (Read 16359 times)

Camco007

• Fireman
Touch screen won’t work and battery lasts 2 mins
« on: November 25, 2023, 04:47:59 PM »
Alrighty got it to charge but new issue, I disconnect the unit and turn it on. It get to the screen where it says to tap to continue so I try tapping and nothing happens. I press the button at the top and it proceeds to the main user screen but tap on any icon and does nothing, pressing the power or holding it down does nothing, also the power meter is dropping. Using the reset button on back does nothing. Power ran out and it shut off in 2 mins. Dead unit? even if needs new batteries the touch screen should have worked when it had power? I have only used it one Christmas and was hopeing to use it this Christmas but it’s not looking likely. For what this controller cost I feel I should have gotten more use out of it before it’s no longer good. Anyone have same issue? Can it be fixed or is it destined for the recycler lol
Also wanted to ad I got the unit 12/22/2021 from https://wgrr.ca/
« Last Edit: November 25, 2023, 05:03:46 PM by Camco007 »

Josephbw

• Conductor
Re: Touch screen won’t work and battery lasts 2 mins
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2023, 05:14:26 PM »
That sounds similar to the issues I had with my HC. I wound up purchasing new batteries from Lowes. Now everything works great.

Joe

Camco007

• Fireman
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2023, 05:27:50 PM »
What kind of batteries did u use? Happen to have size , brand etc info on hand?

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2023, 05:56:44 PM »
Here are the specs:

Rayovac Recharge Plus 1.2v 2400mAH NiMH AA size

Give Tim ring a call. He can probably tell you what's wrong and even reasonably fix it for you.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

Camco007

• Fireman
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2023, 06:06:42 PM »
You’re the best lol just tryed the unit with 3 non rechargables and booted up and the screen works. Thank god it’s just the batteries, am ordering replacements now. 👍👍👍👍

Camco007

• Fireman
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2023, 06:17:40 PM »
Cant find the rayovak plus , am in Canada but found the same ones that were in my controller tenergy premium 2500 nimh so they should do? Found em on Amazon

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2023, 06:23:36 PM »
It does sounds like your batteries could be done for however that may not be the case. The batteries in my original HC are almost 9 years old or so but they still hold a charge for a lot longer than a couple of minutes but they do go flat much quicker than normal to the point that after a couple of months the HC won't turn on at all.

What I found a couple of times was that after charging (from completely flat in my case) I had to charge it again virtually immediately after it had said done charging; it didn't charge fully the first time.  So you can try charging the HC, when done turn it on until the power bar drops the first bit then charge it again. It might work it might not but it's probably worth the try.

As for replacement batteries and changing them, there's threads about it here but any 1.2v NiMH rechargeable battery of at least 2400maH  should be just fine.

If you end up changing the batteries, be aware the HC's don't actually turn off, they go into a standby mode so they are still consuming power. You should charge the HC every month or two when you aren't using it.

- Tim (no not that Tim)