Author Topic: Charging HC2 battery question  (Read 17140 times)

zr1rob

• Fireman
Charging HC2 battery question
« on: December 30, 2023, 04:45:43 PM »
My battery gauge (upper right corner) is only solid white right after I run the charging cycle, but goes to almost empty within minutes. Is this a symptom of a failing battery or else?

How I charge:
1. Turn it off
2. Plug in the USB cable that comes with the controller from Ring
3. The screen says "Charging"
4. ~10s later, screen says "Done"

Are the above procedures correct?

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: Charging HC2 battery question
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2023, 06:24:28 PM »
Your battery is probably good for 5 to 10 hours even though it say's it's low right away.
The battery indicator is basically fiction on the HC.

Sounds like you need many need to re-calibrate the indicator.

Battery Indicator Calibration: https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,582.msg5204.html#msg5204

Let is discharge completely by turning off the "auto screen off" setting on the HC.  Leave it on until it is completely dead.  Then plug it in and let it recharge to full.  This procedure will reset the battery level indicator and give you a much more accurate charge state.

More info: https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,25
« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 06:26:26 PM by William Brillinger »
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

zr1rob

• Fireman
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2024, 02:05:56 PM »
the red battery indicator flashed Red/White for a couple of minutes then the unit turned off like you said. Plugged the charging cable in and let it run. 5 hours later, I turned it on, and it said "Done" with the full battery indicated, unplugged it. Powered it up, only have 1/4 battery. Waited a couple of minutes for the software to poll the battery and update the display, still 1/4. Did I miss something?

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2024, 02:24:00 PM »
how old is the HC?

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

zr1rob

• Fireman
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2024, 02:28:21 PM »
i bought it back in early 2020. It's an HC2b.
BTW: the indicator just went to RED about a half hour after the charging cycle said "Done"
Just now happened

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2024, 02:49:06 PM »
It sounds like you may need new batteries. Based on the age, I would think they should be fine though.
I'd give Ring a call and see what they say. Hopefully they will take care of it for you.

Cheers!

zr1rob

• Fireman
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2024, 02:19:21 PM »
so I took out the batteries and they all came out to be between 1.4-1.45 V. These are 1.2V batteries. The LCD battery gauge shows full. I wonder if there's an upper limit that triggers the software to show a 1/4 level, because the voltage is about 125%of normal so the gauge wraps around? Just wondering, it's all good now. It took several charging cycles to get it back to full because even though the Charging screen said: Done, after a couple of minutes, the battery gauge would shrink from full to less than half. So it would be charged again so it's now back to normal. Thanks for the heads up.