Author Topic: New HC-3 and H3-C SUN announced January 20, 2024  (Read 30835 times)

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
New HC-3 and H3-C SUN announced January 20, 2024
« on: January 20, 2024, 08:09:10 PM »
New HC-3 Announced by email today!

https://ringengineering.com/HC-3.htm
Expected to ship around the end of February

From Ring's website:

HC-3 Wireless Handheld Controller with Color Touchscreen
Now with Four Real Buttons (Customizable) and Soft Grip Knob for the Ultimate in Train Control!
+ Much More!!!

HC-3AndIcons.jpg

-------------------------

Pricing appears to be the same as for the HC-2

From the manual: https://ringengineering.com/RailPro/Documents/HC-3UsersManual.pdf

Real Button Setup

On the Real Button Setup Page you can change the operation of the four Real Buttons
on the the handheld controller. You can change the button action of each one to Horn /
Whistle, Forward / Reverse, Home Page, Stop All and more! You can change these
settings to suit the way you like to operate. The feel of actual buttons is great for train
control functions that are used all the time and need to be accessed quickly and without
looking at the display. Of course the color touch display is far superior for setup and
other operations but not real good for train control like our Real Buttons.
TIP: You can change these buttons to accommodate left handed or right handed
operators!
IMPORTANT:
The outer left button and outer right button are always Power On no
matter what actions are assigned to these buttons.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 08:13:14 PM by William Brillinger »
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: New HC-3 and H3-C SUN announced January 20, 2024
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2024, 08:21:48 PM »
Ring has also added a Lanyard to their website.

MSRP is $19.99

LYN-RP-1.jpg

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2024, 08:51:11 AM »
Assuming this screens are the same size, these images should give an idea of the size difference.
I also expect the HC-3 is thinner than the HC-1 and HC-2

HC-2 vs HC-3 size comp (2).jpg

HC-2 vs HC-3 size comp (1).jpg

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2024, 04:02:21 AM »
Those real buttons will be a very welcome long wanted addition. The soft knob should be grippier so that will be welcome as well (without knurling the old knob was a pain).

Though a smaller size is welcome I still wonder about the fit in the palm of the hand, it's the width that's mostly the problem there, not the thickness.

Bill, for more exposure I've moved the topic to the main RailPro board; it's also new hardware and not just a software update  ;)

- Tim

« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 04:05:23 AM by G8B4Life »

Smoke

• Fireman
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2024, 10:01:34 AM »
The buttons will be super nice to have! I foresee, horn, ± Notch, and reverse on those. The smaller rubber knob will be nice as well. The HC-2 knob is a little challenging to navigate one handed with precision. I'll be interested to see what the thickness is as well.

Do we know if the charging port is the same USB (mini) or did we get an upgrade to USB-C?
-Andrew

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2024, 12:59:40 PM »

I have recently had the welcomed opportunity to test the HC-3.

The width, height and depth are all slightly less than prior models. It also weighs almost 2 ounces less and is more comfortable to grip. The screen is also slightly narrower by about 1/16" but the height is the same.

The batteries are no longer active when the controller is off, which will stop it from discharging as opposed to the older models. Ring claims they will stay charged for up to 10 months. The charging port is the same. Ring cautions against using different chargers.

There is now twice as much storage memory. With all the available ULT sound files the extra storage ability is very useful.

The buttons are a nice feature. For now, the button options are Horn/Whistle, Bell, Stop All and Home. I don't know whether or not more will be made available. The Home button is particularly useful because it works from any page. For those of us who have gotten used to looking at the screen while pressing buttons, the Real buttons will come in handy as we get used to not having to look at the screen as much.

The built-in lanyard clip is also a welcome addition.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 05:06:51 PM by nodcc4me »
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2024, 04:53:54 PM »
Like Al I've been testing the HC-3 for the last few weeks.  Bottom line is that I love it.

The controller is smaller in all dimensions from the HC-2:

HC-3

Depth comparison:

Width comparison:

Height comparison:

The HC-3 is MUCH easier to hold than the HC-2.  Not only because it is smaller, but also because of the case itself.  The plastic used on the HC-3 is much more textured than before, and the edges have more of a hard angle rather than being super round (you can clearly see this in the last picture).  The plastic on the case also feels much more sturdy.

The screen is slightly smaller (correction... It is not smaller, they are the same size), and set back into the case further.  It feels better and is easier to manage with a thumb.  The model I tested was the HC-3-Sun and it is very bright.

The four physical buttons are easy to use without looking.  They can be customized between horn/direction/emergency stop/home.  At this time there are no other options to put on those, though that may be added later.  The two outer buttons turn the controller on.  When the controller is turned off, it fully turns off, unlike the HC-2 that went into a sleep state.  This is one reason why the batteries are able to last so much longer.

There is a single mini-USB port on the side for charging and file transfer.  When plugged into the computer it will not charge, but it also will not use any battery power.  So transferring files from the computer to the HC doesn't drain it.  Space is double the HC-2b, as has been noted.  Speed of transfer from computer to HC, and from HC to locomotive seems quicker to me but I did not time and compare it.

The knob is nicely done.  The old knob was smooth spinning (as is the new one) but often would feel like it was spinning when it actually wasn't.  I had this happen a lot when using my thumb to move it.  The new knob has the rubber insert (I like the Railpro logo on it) and it solves that problem.  The feedback while spinning the knob is great.  I also like how it is smaller and sticks up further.  Overall a much better feel to it.

Overall functionality is about the same compared to the HC-2/b with a few small differences.  One of which is the controller settings menu.  Now you scroll through different menu pages similar to the Locomotive settings page.  Turning on the controller goes to a different splash page before going to the main menu screen.

The lanyard and swivel are great.  The swivel is 360 degree and the lanyard is well-made.  Of course you could always substitute one of your own.  For me (6' 0") the Railpro lanyard was the right height.

Overall very pleased with it.  I will need at least one or two more controllers, and they will for sure be the HC-3.  I'll let my kids use the HC-2.

-Kevin
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 03:21:04 PM by KPack »

WyldBill

• Fireman
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2024, 07:56:11 PM »
Thanks Al & Kevin for the additional insight into the new HC-3.
I pre-ordered mine from Bill yesterday, so I'm looking forward to using it once it comes in. Hopefully I'll have RP modules installed is a couple locos so I can try it out....lol

Thanks,
Bill

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2024, 10:54:36 PM »
One more picture that I forgot to add.  You can see the difference in the knob, the sharper angles on the edges of the case, and the texture on the case as well.  Also note the depth of the screen inside the case and the lanyard/swivel.

BN3022

• Fireman
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2024, 11:00:34 PM »
Is there a video or new tutorial on this new HC?

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2024, 11:02:43 PM »
I have a quick one I took.  I'll do a quick edit and post it on Youtube tomorrow.

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2024, 06:07:32 AM »
There is also a manual on their website.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

Josephbw

• Conductor
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2024, 10:33:11 AM »
Hi Bill, I just sent you an order for the HC-3. Really looking forward to its arrival.
Joe

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2024, 03:19:43 PM »
I'm going to revise an earlier statement I made regarding the screen, it is the same size as the HC-2.  It looks a little smaller, likely because it is tucked deeper into the casing.

-Kevin

ON28

• Conductor
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2024, 12:41:07 PM »
Good info, thanks everyone!