Author Topic: hard wire install  (Read 3819 times)

jrichwood

• Fireman
hard wire install
« on: October 02, 2024, 07:28:43 PM »
My first hard wire install. I have power to the module cannot get the the system to do a load test it fails every try. All other things are on the hand held screen but loco will not respond. This is a IHC steamer.
Thanks for any help. J Richwood
« Last Edit: October 04, 2024, 10:26:19 AM by jrichwood »

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Re: hard wire install
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2024, 06:49:23 AM »
That's not a lot of info to go on to help...

- When you say "All other things are on the hand held screen but loco will not respond" do you mean nothing works or it just won't move?
- When you do the load test what actually happens? Are any error messages given?
- Have you doubled checked your connections and isolation?

From the initial information it sounds like the motor is drawing too much current for the LM but I can't say for sure.

- Tim

jrichwood

• Fireman
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2024, 11:01:26 AM »
Tim thanks for the reply
 info Lm-3 module
 load test said loco speed 100% then test failed.
 loco never started did not turn a wheel.
 loco information page.
 motor current 0% voltage 13.9 temperature low
 nothing is shorted out i must have polarity right. loco shows up able to name it just can't get weel to  turn.

thanks for any help.
Jack   

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2024, 08:28:29 AM »
Ok, so there's 3 possibilities here:
  • The motor is not actually connected to the LM3. Could be a bad join, a broken wire or even the wrong wires (not meant to be an insult that last one).
  • The motor draws way to much current and drives the LM3 into overload. Even if this happens the Full Load Current Test should give you a reading of some sort and the information screen should tell you "Motor Overload", though it may not if the full load current is not set.
  • You have a faulty LM3
...or 4 possibilities, you have a dud motor; but I'm assuming it ran before you hardwired it.

Because you say the Full Load Current test simply fails after saying speed 100% I'd place my money on number 1. Testing without a motor attached gives the same result as you report for the Full Load Current Test. Testing with a motor attached but prevented from rotating gives a high reading in the the Full Load Current Test and the LM goes into overload.

You can try testing for number 2 by setting the full load current manually (just don't choose yes to auto set) to the maximum and then trying to drive the loco. If it goes overload you'll get the yellow warning symbol and "Motor Overload" in the info screen.

That said, I think you need to investigate the connection between the LM and the motor.

- Tim

jrichwood

• Fireman
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2024, 03:08:38 PM »
 I am going to put a new wire harness on and try again and see if that as the problem. I did a butcher job with the last one I will post again if it works or i will need a new module,

Jack