Author Topic: Battery replacement  (Read 3845 times)

Graham54

• Fireman
Battery replacement
« on: January 27, 2016, 10:08:16 PM »
Greetings from Australia,  As my H.C. devices are out of warranty  I decided to  open  both H.C.1 and H.C. 2  and investigate.  My H.C. 1 needs new batteries.  I discovered  each device had different batteries.  H.C.1  Energiser 2300 ma.  H.C.2 powertech 2500  ma.  The battery configuration is 2AA  batteries wired in series and one  connected separately.   I constructed 2 temporary  power supplies, one at 2.4 volts and one at 1.2,   With this supply to each battery holder I removed old and replaced with new same brand and capacity battery  ran H.C.1 to flat and re-charged.  all running well.  I am looking at Panasonic Eneloop Pro  2550 ma.  black case batteries as a possible improvement for my H.C.2 .  Any advice on these batteries would be appreciated.  In the past I have used Sanyo Japanese  manufactured C cells in 7.2 volt Makita re-packs  One of these I am still using to-day 8 years after.  It hasn't much life left.  Hoping this information is helpful and not confusing to others.          Graham54

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: Battery replacement
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 06:39:40 AM »
Pictures!  Please post photos of the parts and maybe disassembly instructions if you can.

I think I would keep the same rated batteries in the units as we don't know how the charging circuit will handle different ratings, that said, larger batteries should not be an issue, I'm thinking they just might never get charged fully.

Might we worth asking Tim, "Would putting larger batteries in the HC2 have any negative effects?"
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 08:58:22 AM »
I seem to recall that the controller uses temperature to work out when the batteries are fully charged, hence the instructions on the temperature range for charging and why not to put the controller on anything that generates heat when charging.

I'm at a bit of a loss on the description of a power supply and then fitting replacement batteries. Did you only have this supply attached while you fitted the new batteries? I can't think of a reason to do this. I'm pretty sure the HC1 and 2 don't have anything stored in volatile memory except for what you might be immediately doing, such as turning the throttle, blowing the horn, Everything configuration wise should be saved in non volatile memory. Pictures of what you've done would definitely help.

As to the batteries, I imagine the brand and capacity is largely up to what Ring has on hand on any particular day, the batteries in my HC2 are Rayovac 2500mA. Better quality batteries which the Panasonic Eneloop might be (only seen 2500mA, not 2550mA) probably won't give you any more run time as such but should help make them last for more recharges.

- Tim

Graham54

• Fireman
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 04:41:26 PM »
As I have no knowledge how the H.C.2 functions, my approach  was to maintain voltage to the unit while changing batteries  contact is only maintained until the new battery is installed.  At no time was I contemplating larger batteries. The C cells I mentioned  was years ago  and I haven't seen Sanyo cells in AA.  Do they exist?  Replacement of my HC2 is probably 12 months away.  I have had my first L.M.1 die, replaced with L.M.2S fixed locomotive with no measurable current across  track supply   Any feedback on this would be appreciated.  Graham54.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 04:47:46 PM »
You said:
I discovered  each device had different batteries.  H.C.1  Energiser 2300 ma.  H.C.2 powertech 2500  ma.  <snip>
I am looking at Panasonic Eneloop Pro  2550 ma.

I was not referring to the physical package of the battery AA, vs C etc.
I was referring to: 2550mh being a "bigger battery" than 2500mh.

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 04:48:52 PM »
I have had my first L.M.1 die, replaced with L.M.2S fixed locomotive with no measurable current across  track supply   Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

Can you please start a new topic for this?