Author Topic: New hand controller  (Read 4131 times)

Josephbw

• Conductor
New hand controller
« on: February 12, 2016, 10:24:10 AM »
I had to send my HC into Ring for repair, and in the meantime I ordered another HC. My question is, will I have to reprogram both HC's separately or is there a way to program multiple HC's together with one controller?

Thanks,
Joe

KPack

• Conductor
Re: New hand controller
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 11:07:58 AM »
What do you mean by "program the HC"?  The HC doesn't need any programming done to it besides connecting it to your Ring Engineering account via USB cable.  That involves inputing your user name and password onto the controller and hooking it up to the computer. 

Adding your locomotives to your new controller is as simple as having them on a powered track and tapping the "find product" button.  It will find the locomotive and it will show up in your list.  That's all it takes.  All the locomotive settings are saved on each individual locomotive module, not on the HC.  You won't have to do anything besides add the locomotive to the HC in order to use it.

-Kevin

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 11:24:28 AM »
But do make sure the new HC is up to date with the latest software too.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 11:30:48 AM »
I don't know whether or not files can be copied from one controller to another. If your original HC is returned to you with all your files still on it, you'll be all set. If not, you will have to reload them using RailPro Assistant. As Kevn stated, all of your locomotives will be available on either controller using "Find Product".
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 11:43:44 AM »
I don't know whether or not files can be copied from one controller to another. If your original HC is returned to you with all your files still on it, you'll be all set. If not, you will have to reload them using RailPro Assistant. As Kevn stated, all of your locomotives will be available on either controller using "Find Product".

If your locomotives are already set up with their sounds and pictures then you really have no need to download any files from the Railpro Assistant to the new controller.  All those files are stored locally on the locomotive modules.  You really only need one controller with files on it....any other controllers can simply be used to run the trains.  Of course with the CI-1 coming out that *may* make it so you don't need the controller to load files anyways.  We'll wait and see.

-Kevin

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 12:31:03 PM »
If you want to program new modules, you'll need to download the programs to the new controller.
I like to have files on several controllers so I can program several modules at once.

Here's hoping the the new CI-1 replaces the controller for programming. 1 step would be so much faster.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 12:33:32 PM by William Brillinger »

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 01:14:00 PM »
I also keep files on the controller in case I want to change sounds on the modules.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

Josephbw

• Conductor
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 05:03:12 PM »
I guess I shouldn't have used the word reprogram. All I meant was reentering the engines and the associated parameters of those engines. But if the info is all kept in the module, and can be accessed by simply doing a search with the new HC, then that's all I need to know.

Thank you all for answering.

Joe

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 05:06:05 PM »
Highball Joe!

Josephbw

• Conductor
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 08:02:48 PM »
Hi Bill,
Have you heard any info as to what all the CI-1 will do?

Thanks,
Joe

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 08:08:37 PM »
This is all I could get out of Tim this week: "We hope to announce the CI-1 details in the next month."