Author Topic: First Time RailPro Setup  (Read 3733 times)

drisdon

• Engineer
First Time RailPro Setup
« on: February 22, 2016, 11:10:35 AM »
This weekend I completed the installation of a loco sound module into an Athearn SD50 so that I could connect and try out the RailPro system.  The verdict: the hype is all true, RailPro works great and is so easy to get things running smoothly and quickly!  Including connecting power and layout wires to the PWR-56, turning on the HC-2, and getting the locomotive programmed took about 5-7 minutes.  I am impressed with just how simple this is!

I had not hard wired a DCC decoder in a couple of years so I was very rusty with that aspect, but the RailPro installation instructions made it very simple.   Additionally the information Bill, Kevin, and others have put on this forum was very helpful.  I replaced the Athearn motor with a Kato as those run much better.  I also used an iPhone 4S speaker and installed it like Bill showed in his GP38-2W's.  I will take some photos and upload them to the Installation section of this forum as it may be helpful for anyone else starting out like myself.  I gave the Athearn SD50 a test run without the shell to make sure everything was connected correctly, amazingly it was all good.  One of things I like best about the RailPro "programming" so far is that the ditch lights flash smoothly and activate with the horn!  Yes you can do this with DCC, but other than turning the feature "on", I didn't have to adjust any settings!  Also I haven't customized any sounds using a computer yet, so I find it even more amazing just how much can be done with the HC-2.  Additionally it is intuitive enough that the instruction manual isn't required.  Try that with Digitrax and good luck!

Feeling so confident, I installed the shell and handrails, put the locomotive back on the rails, connected the power and I hear "pop" and the PWR-56 shows a short.  Ugh!  Turns out the snow plow was too close to the rail head and shorted out and it also zapped one of the surface mount LED's for the ditchlights.  So, I have to replace the LED and remove some material from the plow.  At the same time I'll paint any bare metal with some paint to add some insulation insurance.  This situation is not a RailPro issue, it was operator error and would have occurred regardless of whether on DCC or RailPro.

Even with having to deal with this rework issue, I am still so impressed with how easy Railpro is to use that I'm ready to add it to 5 additional locomotives!  Yea!  Thanks to everyone on this forum for providing useful information and answering questions and to the RailPro team for developing such a wonderful product!

Dan Risdon

drisdon

• Engineer
Re: First Time RailPro Setup
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 11:16:11 AM »
Additionally as a testimonial to the simplicity of RailPro, my 2 1/2 year old son was able to figure out how to use the HC-2 with some minimal cues from myself.  How's that for simple?!  He loved blowing the horn and having the instant feedback! 

Dan

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 11:30:46 AM »
Congratulations Dan!

Sorry to hear about the LED :( 
I wonder why the Module didn't cut the power fast enough to protect the LED?
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 09:24:50 PM »
Congrats on getting the first module installed!  Hardwiring is a pain in the butt, especially adding LEDs, but it makes a huge difference.  Good job on replacing the motor with a Kato...you'll be a lot happier with that. 

I'm not sure the blown LED was due to the locomotive shorting or not.  I've blown a LED before and it was due to a short on the LED wires, not the track/module interface.  However, that was on a locomotive with lots of metal....the Athearn SD50 is mostly plastic with less internal weights than the locomtive I had.  That being said, if the LED wires had their insulating paint rubbed off and were touching bare metal somewhere on the frame, then that might blow the LED.  Or it could've just been a fault LED that was destined to fail.  Either way, it has to be changed out now, which is a pain in the neck.

Dan - wait until you get some modules in other locomotives and are able to run them in a consist.  It's awesome.

-Kevin

drisdon

• Engineer
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 12:43:25 AM »
What you said about the wiring or LED as the issue does sound more true.  I got the LED replaced tonight and everything lights up properly.  Still working on the plow as it is quite low.  I did some filing, but need to use a more drastic material removal method. It ought to have about .020-030 clearance, right?

Thanks,

Dan