Author Topic: RailPro LM-2S Installation in Rapido FP9A Locomotive  (Read 6463 times)

yvesmary

• Fireman
RailPro LM-2S Installation in Rapido FP9A Locomotive
« on: March 08, 2016, 09:51:55 PM »
This is the new FP9A by Rapido that just came out with an ESU decoder instead of the Tsunami when it came with "The Canadian" set. I got the DC version so I could put a RailPro sound module in it.

Installation 1 (800x443).jpg

Installation 2 (800x412).jpg

I think the pictures pretty well say it all. I am very happy with the way it came out. I tested the locomotive before putting the shell back on. I thought the sound was awesome with that iPhone 4 speaker. What surprised me was that the sound didn't seem to change with the shell on.

I didn't change any of the settings on the controller. I don't know if the diesel sound is appropriate but it sounds neat. The horn sounds better I think than the previous version and the bell has a nice ding to it. Pressing the icons for the headlight, back light and roof light all work.

The only thing I don't have is illuminated number boards. I don't know if it's available if I dig into the controller.

All in all it was a simple installation once I got the hang of it. I did a second unit and it only took about a half hour not counting letting the silicone cure overnight.

Of course, mu'ing them together was pretty simple. If nothing else that's what RailPro has all over DCC.

Yves
Ponoka, Alta
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 11:26:32 PM by yvesmary »

yvesmary

• Fireman
Re: RailPro LM-2S Installation in Rapido FP9A Locomotive
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 10:00:48 PM »
Hi Bill,

This was my first time attaching photos. They're way too big. How do I make them normal size for the page?

Also I got the same picture twice. There should have been a different one.

Should I delete the post and start over?

Thanks,
Yves in Ponoka, Alta

yvesmary

• Fireman
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 10:19:56 PM »
Hi again,

I was able to delete the extra picture but I can't find where I can make pictures smaller.

Yves in Ponoka, Alta

hirailer

• Engineer
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 10:42:47 PM »
Hi Yves,
You have to resize all your photos before posting them to the forum. If you are using Win7, you can can resize them using Photo Gallery. 800 will give you a nice size and 1024 will produce a full page.

I also have a free downloaded version of FastStone Image Resizer which works very well.

Cheers
Mel

I'm not sure why you got two of the same images posted. Perhaps the safest way is to make a separate post for each image.
Having more fun with RailPro

yvesmary

• Fireman
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 11:32:00 PM »
Hi Mel,

Thanks for the info. I just downloaded Photo Gallery and resized the pictures. More better now.

Two of the same image was operator error. I'm forever pressing wrong buttons.

Yves in Ponoka, Alta

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 12:02:25 AM »
Great documentation!  Thanks for taking the time to take pictures, label them, and post them.  The installation looks nice and clean.  The more I hear about the iPhone4S speaker the more I want to try it.  So I guess I'll be ordering some. 

Check through the various lighting function outputs on the LM-2S and see if one of them can control the numberboards.  You'll have 4 available functions from the 9-pin harness...1 for headlight, 1 for rearlight, and 2 more for whatever Rapido set them to.  Some experimentation will show what all 4 main function are set to.

Apparently the FP9A was powered by EMD 567C, so Ring's 567 recording should get you close to what you need.  That can be fine-tuned once more recordings become available.

-Kevin

yvesmary

• Fireman
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 12:39:21 AM »
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the kind words.

I was really impressed with the iPhone 4 speaker. The horn especially seemed lower toned than some of my other locomotives.

I really stocked up on them from xiong535 on eBay for 99 cents each and free shipping.

Yves in Ponoka, Alta

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 07:03:43 AM »
Resizing pictures in the forum

You can post larger photos, and use the width attribute to resize them.

Here is what the default inserted photo looks like when you are editing your post:
attachment id=1 msg=1029

Add the width attribute to make it smaller like this:
attachment id=1 width=800 msg=1029

For a list of all attributes you can use, see the post called "How to Post a Photo":
http://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php?topic=11
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

yvesmary

• Fireman
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 10:04:23 PM »
Hi Bill,

I went to your How to Post a Photo post to get my images in my post.

I have a question about codes but I think I should ask it over there instead of here.

Yves in Ponoka, Alta

nhhotrain

• Fireman
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2016, 02:12:49 PM »
Hi Yves,

Like your FP9A,  my Rapido FL-9 locomotives' step lights and ill number boards aren't illuminated anymore after I added LM-2 modules.  I contacted Rapido and they said they are hard-wired and can't be connected to the decoder.  Wonder if you try to re-route wires to harness wires?

John

yvesmary

• Fireman
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2016, 10:46:00 PM »
Hi John,

I think to get the extra lights to work you would have to hard wire the module.

I did one once but it's a lot of work trying to figure out which wire goes where. Now the headlight doesn't come on anymore so one of these days I'll have to take it apart and see what's what.

Sorry I can't be of much help.

Yves in Alberta

DJRCPR

• Fireman
  • Modelling CP and Via (modern) - western Canada
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2016, 07:23:41 AM »
As Yves indicated, you will need to wire all the extra options available with this model. I purchased my Canadian set as DCC, so when I switched over to Railcom last year, I had a friend of mine, who's a retired electronic tech, convert the first batch of my locomotives. For many he fabricated a small pc board for each, so there was the ability to connect all the leads. It's also helpful with the sound units where some have two enclosures. This was true for the getting the features that Rapido is including with their models, and in many cases you need to use the 6-pin plug. So I have the number boards, class lights etc...It does make for a cool running loco.