Author Topic: Decoder install question  (Read 3777 times)

SWA737

• Engineer
Decoder install question
« on: March 09, 2016, 11:36:03 AM »
 I just received my RailPro system starter kit along with two LM-2S's.  When I opened three different manufacturers of my engines and discovered there is no plug & play, I was a bit overwhelmed. As you all know, wires running everywhere. Unfortunately intricate wiring is not my forte. I have several Proto 2000's, several  Backman with the sound value packages and a couple of Athern genesis units. A couple of Broadway Limited's as well. They are all DCC sound equipped units.  My question is, is there anyone on the forum that would be willing to install the RailPro decoders in my engines if I sent you a couple of them at a time and paid you for your time?
 Thanks in advance, Rob Cooper

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
Re: Decoder install question
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 11:47:49 AM »
There you go Bill. Another PDC business opportunity. ;)

The PDC empire grows! Give my regards to Warren Buffett.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

Josephbw

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 12:08:42 PM »
Before you give up Rob, look at a few You Tube videos and see how it's done. The hardest part for a beginner is cutting the wires off enough so that everything fits in the shell. Once you conquer that part it gets a lot easier. Study your loco before you start and determine where the module would best fit, then where to put the speaker(s), where to run the wires, how to light it, bulbs or LEDs, and how to contain all the parts so they don't get hung up when you put the shell back on.

Some engines you can mount the module above the motor or close to it, some you will have to attach to the inside of the roof, and some you will have to fabricate a mount or mill a weight to get it to fit. But like everything else in model railroading after you've done it for the first time, it gets easier.

Good luck,
Joe

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 12:23:02 PM »
Rob - I might be willing to help you out.  First though, you may be able to avoid some of the headache of sending locomotives out if you took some pictures of what the various locomotives look like inside.  Some of these may just need a harness plugged in to get a LM-2S to work.  If not, then myself or others on here would probably be willing to remove the existing DCC boards and hardwire in the LM-2S.  It's a bit of work, but works out well.

-Kevin

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 01:32:22 PM »
Business opportunity!

Actually Rob and I have already talked about this, and if nobody here is willing to help him out, I will, but the reality is that I am swamped with decal and laser work and nothing would make be happier than to see Rob helped out by another fellow group member.

I can totally relate to Rob's situation; he has a stack of locos to convert over time, but not enough hours in the day to do it.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 01:46:05 PM »
I'm willing to, just need to work out the details of how the shipping would go and how much to charge.  I've done plenty of installs for myself but have never done any for someone else.  I need to figure out a fair price that would cover my time, materials, and shipping back.

-Kevin

SWA737

• Engineer
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 01:57:42 PM »
 Thank you Kevin,
       I would like to take you up on the offer. We can certainly discuss the price. I quite frankly do not know how much you need to charge either. I'm sure we can come to an agreement OK. I looked at the  engines a little closer and I don't see any plugs that resemble a six pin or nine pin  configuration on any of my locomotives. They are all 2 pin  plugs into various areas of the decoder  coming from various lights, speaker and of course the motor pick ups.  In looking at the decoder instructions from ring, I see that resistors need to be put in line with the LEDs. I do understand why. It appears like these engines of mine do have LEDs. They are all less than three years old. I guess the  current decoders must have resistors built into them because the two pin leads go straight to the LEDs without resistors connected. That would certainly be another issue to address I am assuming.  We can exchange email or phone numbers however you would like to get in touch Kevin.  And thanks also Bill and the others for chiming in. Looks like a great bunch of guys on this forum. I am very much looking forward to operating with this new system.
Rob Cooper

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 05:25:30 PM »
Hi Rob - I sent you a private message through the forum.  It has my contact info in there. 

-Kevin